Establishing Feral Chicken flock

I said the walk system flourished across the south because of the culture, post-Civil War isolation, poverty, caste system, dominant terrain, and sharecropping system. Walking was the model, so there were pockets everywhere. But nothing rivaled from Kentucky southward and west through eastern Oklahoma.

Southern Indiana is beautiful country. I spent over a decade in Bloomington.

I said the walk system flourished across the south because of the culture, post-Civil War isolation, poverty, caste system, dominant terrain, and sharecropping system. Walking was the model, so there were pockets everywhere. But nothing rivaled from Kentucky southward and west through eastern Oklahoma.

Southern Indiana is beautiful country. I spent over a decade in Bloomington.
Walk system came over from Europe and was adapted to US. Bloomington to me was not all that southernish because lacked connectivity with Kentucky. We had serious walk action where there would be 20 or so just under me and my brother as kids. Grownups had a lot more scattered over the county.

Walk system came over from Europe and was adapted to US. Bloomington to me was not all that southernish because lacked connectivity with Kentucky. We had serious walk action where there would be 20 or so just under me and my brother as kids. Grownups had a lot more scattered over the county.
Having that many birds wide spread sounds awesome. I have been living in farm community's between Akron and Mansfield most of my life while recently I have found a good place closer to Akron. I have never heard of games kept on walks until recently. Although my grand father might have been familiar with game fowl kept on walks as he was around in the 1920a and I remember my dad saying something about it.

Having that many birds wide spread sounds awesome. I have been living in farm community's between Akron and Mansfield most of my life while recently I have found a good place closer to Akron. I have never heard of games kept on walks until recently. Although my grand father might have been familiar with game fowl kept on walks as he was around in the 1920a and I remember my dad saying something about it.
Walk system was also employed in around the the Great Lakes and New York at one time.

I do not consider the Ohio River Valley bordered by Indiana and Kentucky to be southern part of the southern US. Yet gamefowl were kept there as I and even you described until at least the late 1990's. A lot of arrogance involved assuming games not kept north of the Mason-Dixon line.
Ask any of us here in the good state of Kentucky, we are definitely part of the south!

You represent some possibly a majority, not all.
Lol, it's probably safe to ask northerners if kentucky is north or south, but true kentuckians get ticked off being referred to as northerners. One of their biggest insults is asking people what part of the North they're from, that and bless your heart. They're much too polite to say more than that. 😇

Back
Top Bottom