Ethical duck question

RJKnott

Songster
Mar 25, 2020
So a year before I got Peep and Nibbler, my daughter had gotten some ducks, planning to keep them in a home made pond in her yard. Two bonded with me. An American black duck, and an Indian runner.

they hated her and loved me. So I raised them and when they got bigger they went with my daughter’s flock.

My daughter and her fiancé didn’t think they could properly care for them so they gave them to a friend of theirs that has a farm and a large pond and a domestic flock of ducks that they have taken in and let free range on their land

Well my daughter goes and visits them once in a while and her and my ducks all remember her and come over and greet her

well she got a call from the friends that took the ducks saying they had seen some predators around, coyotes mostly. And one of the ducks looks like it had a wound on its side. My daughter didn’t think to ask which one.

the wounded one comes and sleeps in a little house they made for it on their back patio. So they are going to get me pictures and asked me, since I have ducks of my own now, would I want to take them in and nurse her back to health. And take the other one too since they are still inseparable

part of me wants to. And I know my flock has been very accepting to new ducks. But if they are happy and if the injured one is healing I don’t want to take them from their home and family, as much as I do miss them.

there they would be with the flock they have known. Here they would probably be safer. But I want them to be happy.

Hmm complicated situation. I think if they are in a not completely predator proof area, I personally would take them back and give them a safer place. They may have other duck friends there, but since you said they were with eachorher before they even went to live there, they are probably more bonded with eachother than with the other ducks in their flock. Maybe they would miss the other ducks for a little while but they would be back to normal within a couple months being happy ducks on your property. Just my two cents, the decision is up to you.

Personally, I feel that the pets I already have must take priority over any other animals. Being a sensitive animal lover I have to make this choice in advance and stick to it. It isn't easy.

Biosecurity is a big deal to me. My flock has already suffered from my ignorance. I just attended an online seminar about avian influenza, and how the flight patterns of wild birds could be bringing it to the US next. This makes biosecurity, closed flocks, and 30 day quarantine protocol even more important than usual.

Obviously, the choice is yours. Are you willing to risk your ducks contracting viruses and/or parasites? Could you keep the new ducks in a separate area?

Next, if you take these ducks, fix them up, and give them back would they be in the same unprotected living environment? I feel it would be ideal if you coach your daughter's friends on how to keep ducks safe. I understand this may not be appropriate, our neighbors didn't keep their flock safe and we didn't say a word.

I think the ducks will have a brief period of stress as they adjust to new living environment, if recovering with you is the option you feel is best.

I would likely help the owners learn to take care of the wounded duck, but it would be hard for me to do. Especially if they couldn't make a predator proof space.

I would coach them through nursing back to health. It's a win/win that way. No parasites, illness or other issues coming back to your flock, AND they have an opportunity to learn how to care for their flo
Personally, I feel that the pets I already have must take priority over any other animals. Being a sensitive animal lover I have to make this choice in advance and stick to it. It isn't easy.

Biosecurity is a big deal to me. My flock has already suffered from my ignorance. I just attended an online seminar about avian influenza, and how the flight patterns of wild birds could be bringing it to the US next. This makes biosecurity, closed flocks, and 30 day quarantine protocol even more important than usual.

Obviously, the choice is yours. Are you willing to risk your ducks contracting viruses and/or parasites? Could you keep the new ducks in a separate area?

Next, if you take these ducks, fix them up, and give them back would they be in the same unprotected living environment? I feel it would be ideal if you coach your daughter's friends on how to keep ducks safe. I understand this may not be appropriate, our neighbors didn't keep their flock safe and we didn't say a word.

I think the ducks will have a brief period of stress as they adjust to new living environment, if recovering with you is the option you feel is best.

I would likely help the owners learn to take care of the wounded duck, but it would be hard for me to do. Especially if they couldn't make a predator proof space.
This is how I was feeling.
And why I’m torn. My daughter didn’t tell me she had done it for a couple weeks after wards (I was less than happy) and by then They were part of that flock, in fact we’re running it heh. So I didn’t want to take them out of it if they were happy. But I know here they would have as predator proof an area as could reasonably be expected but as much as I’d love to have them back, I don’t know what diseases or parasites they may have picked up and I don’t want to infect my flock with anything

So If i have this right you gave the ducks to your daughter and she gave them to the friend. Now the daughter feels they need better care. She clearly does not want to deal with them.

So if i have that right here are my thoughts.
This is your daughters problem, it only becomes your problem if you let it, which is a personal decision. Your daughter should either care for the ducks in perpetuity or find a home for them that she is happy with, OR realize that this issue is because of her actions and not do anything. If rolls were reversed i wouldnt mind patching the wounded duck up inside my house (my wife would not though) but would not let the duck with the flock. I also would probably only do that once.
I think the hardest thing with a pet is to understand that death is part of life. Its easy to say as its not my duck but i don't think its unethical to leave the duck where it is, and if you want to go over and asses the wound and offer treatment advise. Any way you do it, it would not hurt to see the duck first hand before you make your decision.

Yeah I had a long talk at the time with her about responsibility, especially given the fact two of the ducks she gave her friend were effectively mine.

I also dont mean to make it seem like these du is are just cast out into the wild. The property is fenced in, the pond is sprawling, and they put traps in for turtles. And make sure the ducks are fed. They just aren’t sure what got her or how bad it is.
I might go up this weekend and see if I can see them. I would love to have them as part of the flock but I can’t expose my current birds to any diseases or parasites they may have.

Yeah I had a long talk at the time with her about responsibility, especially given the fact two of the ducks she gave her friend were effectively mine.

I also dont mean to make it seem like these du is are just cast out into the wild. The property is fenced in, the pond is sprawling, and they put traps in for turtles. And make sure the ducks are fed. They just aren’t sure what got her or how bad it is.
I might go up this weekend and see if I can see them. I would love to have them as part of the flock but I can’t expose my current birds to any diseases or parasites they may have.
Yeah it is definitely a concern exposing your flock to something they may have picked up, if you do end up taking them back definitely quarantine them for awhile away from the others, at least a month maybe longer depending on how bad the injury is. It sounds like they do a pretty good amount to try and protect their ducks, but I am very protective over my ducks so I wouldn't want to put them into a situation like that. Maybe if you do go and see the ducks, you'll be able to check out the injury and get a better idea of what might have done it, then make your decision based off of what predator it was that hurt it. Maybe you will find it is something they can easily change to protect them.

Sad thing is predators remember where that free meal is and will be back and probably bring the family this time. My ducks and chickens and geese and dogs are part of our family and to think they may be where they are not protected would be hard for me. I know some people have birds and don't house them at all and if they get picked off just go get more. I could never do that. Sold some ducklings to a person who a month later didn't want the Runner anymore because she was loud, I had to take her back didn't even want to think of the alternative. No one can tell you what to do. Follow your gut and your heart. Rarely do water fowl have parasites unless kept in horrid conditions. Although you would want to wait till the duck was healed up before placing them in with your flock anyway.

Back
Top Bottom