Ethics question- when do you decide to euthanize?

nccatnip

Songster
12 Years
Aug 5, 2007
Piedmont area NC
One of my GLW chicks arrived with either an injury or defect. Her left leg sticks out in front like she is always taking a huge step with it. I treated her with a brace with no success but feel the issue is in the hip, possibly a malformation?
I have her with my little OEBB that really struggled to survive after the rest of the GLW chicks were running all over her. The OE is thrilled to have company but I am having a hard time reading the injured chick for pain or discomfort.
She seems to be thriving and getting around, albeit wobbly. She is quite healthy and getting big otherwise.
I am asking opinions here- should I give her a bit more time to see if she will learn to accomodate mobility better on that leg? My fear is that she will get no better as her size increases and stresses the leg even more with weight gain and I am wondering how miserable life would be for her. I do not want to promote needless suffering but also do not want to be premature in a decision.
I have no problem "doing the deed" when I am totally convinced it is the right thing.
As I said, she eats and drinks, and is as large as the rest of the crew she arrived with.
Feedback please!!!!!!!!!!!!
Edited to add pic
2003_0101leg0002.jpg

Last edited:
Thats a tuff call! If she is eating and drinking and moving around I would let her have a go at it. Just watch it for a while maybe it will get used to the gimp leg and be no worse for the wear. You'll probably know (watching it all the time) when to throw in the towel. Good Luck!

If my memory serves me right, I think Silkiechicken had one with similar problem, she rigged it up and I think got it better. You might try to PM her to ask her about it. I hope I am right. If not, I'm losing my mind, someone on here had rigged a device that goes around both legs and it helped it.

Seems healthy I would keep it around heck if you can garantee it is a girl and you live near maryland I would take her.

Henry

As long as she's getting around and eating and drinking I'd let her have a chance at life. Now if she gets where she can't get around at all or quits eating and drinking, that's a different story. Then it's probably time to do something. She looks very healthy so far.

I'm with everyone else...if you can tell at some point that her quality of life is gone, you will probably feel better about making a decision.

Quote:
Silkiechick did help me with this issue and I did the brace with no results. I think it failed because it looks like the injury is in the hip. I cannot feel a slipped tendon.

I want to thank everyone for your replies. This is a tough call. It just seems like she is struggling at mobility and I am helpless. The fact she is thriving is encouraging.

That is a tough one. I guess your options are:
1. Consult a vet, which could get costly unless you find one who wants to help out of interest. Then again, it could be a cheap and quick fix...
2. Wait and see - if she were in serious pain, she would be reluctant to move, I imagine. If she is still eating, that is a good sign.

Well, the chick looks pretty good spirit wise, but if it can't get around very well, I'd cull it, especially if it looks like it's suffering and can't stand. Really it's your choice. If it was an only chick, I'd probably raise it and eat it when it had enough meat, providing it could get that big comfortably.

Back
Top Bottom