Etiquette Question

Quote:
Yep and it would save time from spilled water glasses if you happened to bump the table wrong when you scoot in or knocked your knee on top.

Good heavens! Is there a correct time to place your napkin on your lap? I'm flabbergasted!!! Having said that, opening your napkin as soon as you sit down might suggest you are eager for your food. Surely a breach of etiquette!

Probably not!

Perhaps Eloise have something to say about table manners!
wink.png

I have a hard time figuring out how to teach my frustrated daughter how to cut meat with her knife. I've showed her over and over but its her hands that can not grasp the power behind the knife to cut into meat.

She would "fist" the fork into the meat onto the plate like a tree and saw the meat between the tines of her fork. Sometimes the meat would slide all over and she would get frustrated. I know the meat sometimes can be tough for her to cut into like steaks and pork tenderloins. Oh, I hated the sound it created, the screeching of fork across the plate and sawing motions.

Any other suggestions? I've always been taught to lay the fork and knife on either hand across the palm, then close your fingers around them except the fingers which hold the head of tines on fork, with tips toward you, not away from you. And the fork is pressed downward in one saw motion or two, NOT between the tines, but next to it. That was taught to me by a famous lady who went all over the country to teach us good table manners. Oh the stories she told, it was a hoot! Can't remember her name. Was in Kewanee every year, once a year to teach us students about it.

Quote:
I agree with you about that! We were in a restaurant recently, and there was a child that was sitting at a booth while his parents ordered. (fast food place). He poured salt all over the table, then proceeded to LICK it off.
sickbyc.gif
sickbyc.gif

With fast food and lots of casual eating, a good many people have never been taught any table etiquette. And for eating junk food in a fast food joint, I think it's a little outre to require everyone to eat like they're at the Waldorf Astoria, but I do think it is ok to insist your kids don't do anything at MacDonald's that makes you want to hurl.

The proper time to put your napkin in your lap is when you sit down at the table.

When you leave the table, you fold it neatly on the table where your plate was.

Some rules of etiquette are meant to just make eating less hurl worthy for the others at the table. Other rules are meant to make it easy for a waitress to quickly clean up and bus your table. Other rules are actually for hygeine - keeping used napkins away from other people's plates, etc.

Waiting for the host or hostess was just meant to show the host respect and thanks for providing the food.

Ewesheep, if your daughter is 'stabbing' her meat with a fork fist, well, what I do is I tell the kid that we do not eat like cannibals in this house and if you want to eat, you have to eat it in a way that doesn't make the cook want to hurl, and that is the end of that.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom