European Starling care?

That's a great idea! I'll make sure to tell people I sell them to that I'll take them back in if at any point they don't want them anymore. And I have lots of room in my aviary, (no birds in at all yet lol) so I'll have lots of space if I need to keep them. Also, I'm sorry you have those invasive species in your garden, good luck with it
not everyone will care enough to give the birds back and will probably just let them loose outside which will add to the problem, some birds will probably escape which again will add to the problem, thats why it is normally illegal to own invasive species because most of the time thats what started it.

Why would you want to do that? If you really want to have a pet bird then get a parakeet of something.
The whole idea of controlling the breeding of invasive species is not to help the numbers grow bit to reduce them.

Maybe I sound harsh but i just don't see the logic.
I don't want it as a pet, I forgot to add in my post that I'll be selling them as pets to other people. And I'm not sure if you read my whole post, but I think you misunderstood my reasoning for this. Lots of people have misunderstood me so let me put this very clearly. I'm doing this to get as many starlings as possible out of the wild without killing them. I am not breeding them. I am not helping their population grow (not sure where you got the idea that I was). I AM trying to help the ecosystem. So if you have anything against my idea, I want you to know that I know what I'm doing, I have my reasons, and I'm not interested in hearing why I shouldn't do it.

I don't want it as a pet, I forgot to add in my post that I'll be selling them as pets to other people. And I'm not sure if you read my whole post, but I think you misunderstood my reasoning for this. Lots of people have misunderstood me so let me put this very clearly. I'm doing this to get as many starlings as possible out of the wild without killing them. I am not breeding them. I am not helping their population grow (not sure where you got the idea that I was). I AM trying to help the ecosystem. So if you have anything against my idea, I want you to know that I know what I'm doing, I have my reasons, and I'm not interested in hearing why I shouldn't do it.
Your not helping their population grow but you're supporting it.
Best to stay on the right side of the law and support what the country is doing.

How can you guarantee they do not escape from their new owners? Unless you are having them sterilized before passing them along, this sounds terribly irresponsible.

not everyone will care enough to give the birds back and will probably just let them loose outside which will add to the problem, some birds will probably escape which again will add to the problem, thats why it is normally illegal to own invasive species because most of the time thats what started it.
Ok, I know you each have your own opinions and I respect that, but I want you to understand that I'm doing this to HELP the ecosystem, and I believe every animal deserves to live. So I'm going to be taking them in, selling them as pets, and taking any back in if their owners can't keep them. I have a plan, I know what I'm doing, I have experience, and I really don't feel like arguing.

How can you guarantee they do not escape from their new owners? Unless you are having them sterilized before passing them along, this sounds terribly irresponsible.
Im going to be taking them to the vet once I take them from the nest, and I can't guarantee that they won't escape. But although I can't guarantee that they won't escape, having fewer is better than just having one or two escape, because if I don't take them, they would already be there anyways. So if you still feel like arguing, I won't be responding.

I’ve given you the benefit of the doubt and wish you luck with getting certified to rehab species that need it. But please don’t get yourself in trouble with Dept of Fish and Game by selling an invasive nonnative species as pets.

I’ve given you the benefit of the doubt and wish you luck with getting certified to rehab species that need it. But please don’t get yourself in trouble with Dept of Fish and Game by selling an invasive nonnative species as pets.
I'm going to be calling Fish and Game before I do any of this.

The whole reason for asking a question on a forum is to get people's opinions. No one will have the same opinion on a matter.
We're not trying to annoy or upset you, we're just trying to explain that although the idea sounds wonderful at the moment, it may turn out to be an utter failure resulting in serious problems.
I'm sorry if I've offended you.

It may be worth looking for an aviary bird forum so as not to get silly answers from poultry owners.
I have kept and bred parrots for quite a number of years(I no longer) and I know for a fact that hand rearing even just 1 bird requires extreme dedication. Day and night.
I suggest you just give it some more thought. I trust you are successful in whatever you decide to do. :)

Back
Top Bottom