Euthanasia : cervical dislocation gone wrong, looking for help to understand why.

@BarnyardChaos thank you also for the detailed explanations. I believe I did not realize the amount of strength needed both for stretching and dislocating. I understand that what could go wrong with the broomstick would be if it starts to roll or move- but I think I could try that out to feel the balance without the actual chicken.

Thank you also for the kind thoughts, please have them for Brune đź’š.
Yes, great idea to practice first. The hardest part is moving your second foot to the broomstick to pin the head down, while simultaneously pulling up hard - and keeping your balance doing it. Try it first on a stuffed animal or a towel with a knot tied at the end.
Yes {{{hugs}}} for Brune, too.
1688136559606.png

I've had a few horrific failures too - but none with the broomstick, and none with a pet that I loved. Spend some extra time with your remaining chickens and it will get better.

I have to make an appointment this morning to euthanize a beagle that I raised since he was weaned. 15 years old, health failing fast, and he's let us know that it's time. Can't do it myself, oh no no no.

Yes, great idea to practice first. The hardest part is moving your second foot to the broomstick to pin the head down, while simultaneously pulling up hard - and keeping your balance doing it. Try it first on a stuffed animal or a towel with a knot tied at the end.
Yes {{{hugs}}} for Brune, too. View attachment 3561081
I've had a few horrific failures too - but none with the broomstick, and none with a pet that I loved. Spend some extra time with your remaining chickens and it will get better.

I have to make an appointment this morning to euthanize a beagle that I raised since he was weaned. 15 years old, health failing fast, and he's let us know that it's time. Can't do it myself, oh no no no.
I'm sorry for your beagle. 15 years is a long time to share an animal's life if you got him just a few months old.

I think what happened is you broke the bone but not the spinal cord.
^^^ This.
I have found the same thing has happened with the broomstick method with me, and that is the only conclusion I could come to.
I have found the way to avoid it is to pull very hard and fast, more so then you think you would need to
I'm so sorry, and she is in a better place now :hugs

:hugsVery sorry you had this experience!

This is exactly what I was afraid of when deciding to rather use a blow to the back of the head with an iron bar first, leaving them unconcious immediately and then a sharp and quite heavy cleaver or hatchet chopping the head off.

While it is a bloody way (keep a bucket nearby) and people naturally will shy away from it, it ensures a very quick death.

Back
Top Bottom