Euthanasia for our 14 year old lab - tough decision

We lost our 13 year old Lab last year, the week of Christmas. We waited too long. It was a hard night, watching him die. We should have put him down before that, but it was so hard to make that decision, especially when he rallied and acted like his old self. When he had good days, we just couldn't bring ourselves to do it. When he had bad days and we convinced ourselves that it was time, he must have understood what we were saying, because he would suddenly act like a young dog again. I understand your feelings and heartbreak. My husband was devastated and said he never wanted another Lab. Our DD and DSIL knew better and adopted a black Lab/Great Dane cross the day after Christmas and surprised him. My DH fell in love all over again and now we have another dufus, goofy, happy-go-lucky big black dog that owns our hearts.

I am so sorry you are going through this, it is so hard, you sound like a very caring, kind, yet sensible person so I am sure you will do right by your boy, as others have said, you will probably know when he is ready or there is a chance he will pass in his sleep, my thoughts are with you
hugs.gif

I know just what you are going through! In June we had to put down our English Setter that was 15 years old. She had moved here with us from Texas 12 years ago. Old age had finally caught up with her and she was having a hard time standing and getting up plus she had lost her hearing. Then Sunday we lost my son dog to what we believe was cancer. He was 11 years old. It's hard to make these decisions, but go with your gut and you will make the right one for you and your pet. My prayers are with you.

I am so sorry to hear about your dog. We just had to put down our Irish Setter on Monday. Best dog we ever had, boy did he win our hearts. He had lung cancer, and to see this energetic, athlete of a dog, just stand there trying to breathe was heart breaking. He had a good last day - playing ball, hunting rabbits, eating all the dog treats that he wanted, and getting a ride in the car to town. It was easier for me, knowing that he had a good last day and isn't suffering anymore.
It was alot easier on us when our 14 year old lab collapsed while begging for her supper and died during a seizure. I had just enough time to call my husband up from the basement where he was watching tv so he could say goodbye before she died. That dogs favorite thing in the whole world was food, so having her die while eating supper was to die while doing her favorite thing.

My condolences to you and your husband. It is a hard decision, but as pet owners, it is something that we need to do for those furry friends that have enriched our lives for so many years.

Thank you all so much for your support.

Unfortunately stealer very suddenly became extremely ill last night. He went from happy and silly to a state of extreme pain and confusion in a matter of minutes.

Luckily I managed to get ahold of my father who helped me get him into a vehicle. We took him to the nearby emergecy veterinary hospital where my husband met us and were fortunate enough to have a vet meet us in the parking lot to release him from the pain.The last few minutes were quiet and peaceful.

For me he will be forever standing at the bow of the boat, ears to the wind. But today I can't help wishing with my entire being for one more touch of those silky ears. I miss him terribly.

Thank you again for your kind words.

Oh my, I feel your pain, I am so sorry
sad.png
You will always have the knowledge that you did all you could for him, even in difficult circumstances you managed to end his pain, quickly and peacefully, you will hold your memories of him always.
Thinking of you, SueX

I haven't been here in a while, but I just read this thread and I am sooo sorry. You gave Stealer the best life he could have had, and you made him very happy at the end. It's never easy for sure, but you did the right thing for him. He has a very special place in heaven, waiting for you with his tail wagging!

So very sorry. Have been therre, done that multiple times and am heartbroken every time but I DO realize, after decades of animal care, that they don't live as long and are fortunate to have a euthanasia option. I had a 14 yo dog euthanized in september of this yr.(all of my animals seem to live into their teens and it IS part of my care to end it when they are no longer comfortable etc.) and she was one of the hardest to date(according to my heart). This dog, Ruby, had elevated liver enzymes for appx. 5 yrs. and it was a waiting game. after 5 yrs. of cooking fish/rice/collard greens for her she developed an inner ear imbalance(unbeknownst to me!!) and I thought she was done(this was march 2012) Have NEVER experienced this ailment, so live and learn. Took her to the vets(she could NOT walk) and they looked at her eyes and told me, most likely, she simply had the ear problem. So-euthanasia turned into a few weeks of getting her appitite/balance back and me just feeding her whatever she would eat(which ultimately helped ruin her liver but she was happy to the end eating canned dog food!!!)Last week of her life she became inappitant, dull eyed, shakey, acted like she was trying to tell me something and I just know and its over. You cry on the way, you cry during, you cry on the way home, you cry for having to bury(my son did the bulk of last-thankgoodness) and then you get pictures out and laugh at the silly things they do thruout their lives and healing starts. I sound dramatic but I have to get thru it quik and this is how I do it and have TOO many other critters that need attention. Let yourself love the dog now and know kindness is ending it when THEY have had enough and they don't know its over. Thats OUR burden to bear. I wish you peace and love him as much as you have and it will be OK.

Back
Top Bottom