Euthanize a Chicken Humanely - step by step

A lot of times a Vet is not an option - period.

Just for **giggles** a couple of years ago, I called the vet clinics in my area, totalling to around 45 Licensed vets between the clinics. I asked if they could run a fecal float or if they treated poultry. I got laughed at, I got hung up on. Not ONE (1!) vet clinic would see poultry, this included *Avian* vets too.

So, it may shock and disgust you, but sometimes you have to pull up your Big Boy Britches or Big Girl Panties and get on with the task at hand.

For me, my face is usually the first human face that my hens and roosters see. My face is the last human face they will see too. They are used to me, they know me. Why on earth would I want to box them up, drive them to a stranger and put them through a terror they never have experienced before when I can, with love and compassion take care of them myself? It's not about money. Perhaps you're o.k. with strangers putting your much loved animals through that, but I'm not.
Of course a vet isn't always an option to everyone, nor is it the chosen option for someone who professionally humanely dispatch an animal in a more effective and potentially less painful way.

My argument is that the individuals seeking help here are not experts in humanely dispatching, and are being adviced to attempt this as a standard practice over seeking vetinary assistance. The amount of pain people are causing as a result of this absolutely shocks me. I am reading countless posts where people are maiming their animals to save a few bucks.

Do not experiment euthanasia on your pets. Do not use it as a default option, if better is available. If in doubt, find a vet. Who would even argue that?

Two years ago my favorite, very beloved chicken named "Baby" was dying. To me, the quickest way to ease her pain and suffering was to shoot her with a small caliber weapon. I hugged her and loved on her for a time. Then I laid her on the ground, put the muzzle close, and shot her through the heart. She took a last breath, but then it was over. She was at peace. It still breaks my heart and I cry every time I think about it.

Right now I have another bird that was paralyzed three months ago. I brought her in and have been caring for her ever since, hoping that she will recover. I warm food and feed her by hand twice a day. I pick her up and help her to poop three time a day. I play music for her. A couple of times a day we do physical therapy. I spend a lot of time with her.

This morning, after going down and helping her to poop and doing a bit of physical, I believe I have come to the conclusion that she is not going to recover. I think it's time for me to stop being selfish in my hope that she will walk again, and let her go. We have become VERY attached over the past three months. But I think I need to let go.

Two years ago my favorite, very beloved chicken named "Baby" was dying. To me, the quickest way to ease her pain and suffering was to shoot her with a small caliber weapon. I hugged her and loved on her for a time. Then I laid her on the ground, put the muzzle close, and shot her through the heart. She took a last breath, but then it was over. She was at peace. It still breaks my heart and I cry every time I think about it.

Right now I have another bird that was paralyzed three months ago. I brought her in and have been caring for her ever since, hoping that she will recover. I warm food and feed her by hand twice a day. I pick her up and help her to poop three time a day. I play music for her. A couple of times a day we do physical therapy. I spend a lot of time with her.

This morning, after going down and helping her to poop and doing a bit of physical, I believe I have come to the conclusion that she is not going to recover. I think it's time for me to stop being selfish in my hope that she will walk again, and let her go. We have become VERY attached over the past three months. But I think I need to let go.
Welcome to BYC.
It never gets any easier when it comes to having to put down a chicken, especially a favorite, it hurts.
I wish you the best.

Back
Top Bottom