Euthanizing 2.5 week old chick

Sep 27, 2019
Massachusetts
I have posted a couple times about my almost 3-week-old chick who arrived with a leg injury at 1 day old. The leg has not improved, and it gets worse every day. It's been weeks of splinting, chick chairs, sandals, and rehab sessions. She is not growing properly and the leg continues to get worse and the injury more severe. So, after much internal struggle and debate, tonight I am euthanizing her.

I bought new pruning shears today. They are the smaller size that you can hold in one hand. I do have a pair of the large size, but they are not new so the blade is not as sharp. I thought since she is so little (probably the size of a 1 week old chick), the smaller set would work. I know I need to do it quickly and forcefully to end her suffering as quickly as possible. I've never done this before, so I want to be sure I use the proper tool.

Here are the shears. Will this work? Thank you for any help you can provide.

15896731973071089837587.jpg

It is done. It was horrible. I held her in a warm blanket and she fell asleep while I held her and rubbed her head, and I thought it would be peaceful. But it took nearly 10 seconds for it all to be over and her body to be still. It was the most horrible thing I've ever done. I pray I never have to do this again.

I doubt it took 10 whole seconds for her to expire. Cervical dislocation(beheading) is nearly instant. You did the right thing. I like to tell myself: if it's more traumatic for me than the animal, I did it right. Thank you for ending the chicks suffering.
Yes, chickens (and I think other birds?) flap after death. It is just a muscle reaction and they are not still alive or suffering. The death itself is nearly instant. It is horrible to watch though. But I am sure that this bird died basically instantly and felt nothing. ❤

Yes, chickens (and I think other birds?) flap after death. It is just a muscle reaction and they are not still alive or suffering. The death itself is nearly instant. It is horrible to watch though. But I am sure that this bird died basically instantly and felt nothing. ❤

Thank you. I hope this was the case, that for her, it was instant. I was not emotionally prepared for the wings to flap. It was shocking and terrifying, and felt like it took forever to stop.

Thank you. I hope this was the case, that for her, it was instant. I was not emotionally prepared for the wings to flap. It was shocking and terrifying, and felt like it took forever to stop.
It was! It’s just a nerve reaction. Not sure why exactly it happens but it doesn’t mean they’re still alive. ❤️ It’s definitely shocking though!! I know how you feel! I recently had to put down a sick cockerel and I was also not prepared for the flapping. I’d read about it some at least but until you experience it yourself, it’s not really something you can understand from just reading about it. And it’s such an awful thing to learn about!! And definitely shocking!! So sorry ❤️

The way I prepped for the flappings was first I dug a hole in a place I plan to plant a bunch of flowers. Then I said my goodbyes and centered my focus while holding the chick, calming us both down. I did the deed right over the hole, immediately placed her in and started filling it. Her head was off, so I know she was not conscious, and I only had to see her for a second or two before she was covered with earth. Proud of you for getting it done. :hugs Hopefully you never have to do it again but if you do, maybe this technique will save you from seeing the aftermath. @Chickiechickieboomboom

Back
Top Bottom