Euthanizing a chicken - Please learn from my mistake

I just came across this-I know how you felt because I feel that way now. I had to euthanize my first chicken last night after 2 weeks of trying to treat probable Mareks. I fought for her because she was fighting. But when I came home yesterday she was suffering and my husband was at work. I read all the techniques. I wasn’t comfortable with cervical manipulation. I decided on decapitation although it seemed very traumatic and out of a horror movie. I didn’t feel comfortable with a knife. I used my husband’s table saw. I started puking and hyperventilating afterwards. Couldn’t sleep last night. I’ve felt sick all day. I know I’m an animal lover and tenderhearted but I’m a nurse so I thought I could handle it. I know I did the right thing but I feel so awful and I’m not sure I’ll ever forget that.

Dear @pugspigchicks,
:hugs
What I said to the OP of this thread needs to be repeated here:
I am sorry for the experience you had and
I'm sorry that your chicken got sick to begin with.

Please know that you did what you thought was best at the time to end her suffering.

From your post it is obvious that your sweet bird was loved and cared for.
It's my belief that what memories she carried with her at the end, were ones of the happy life you provided, not a moment of fear or pain or confusion at the end.

I think with loss that was as viscerally traumatic as yours, you have to allow yourself to come to terms with it over time. In order to be able to put it in a safe place in your mind, then move on, you have to do this. Blocking it out won’t help in the long term because that will also block out the memories you have of loving her and experiencing the joy that her life brought you!
This takes time. I know this for a fact.
I’ve suffered many losses, including the loss of a son by suicide.
I am sending you a hug.
Stacey j

Stacey- thank you so much for this. I’m sorry about the loss of your son. I’ve lost my mom and my sister and some how wasn’t prepared for this. Thank you for your empathy and kind words as they brought me a comfort. I know Darla left knowing I tried so hard to save her.

I do not advocate this method for everyone's use, and there is a specific procedure that, if not followed carefully, could have an undesirable outcome. I just have not been able to bring myself to use cervical dislocation or decapitation, and CO2 is equally humane while being (albeit less importantly) much less traumatic for me. Thank you for sharing your incredibly harrowing experience so that others may be spared. :hugs I wish for you to have only happy memories of CoCo.
Hear, hear.

I'm so sorry you all went through that :(
Thank you for sharing though. I might have to choose euthanasia as well and that's why I read your post...it sounds like you made an honest mistake and it's obvious you learned from it, try not to be too hard on yourself...

Thank you for posting this.

I may need to euthanize a dear chicken friend and am doing what I can to learn about this process and rehearse in my mind the steps I'll take to assure a swift and humane death.

I just came across this-I know how you felt because I feel that way now. I had to euthanize my first chicken last night after 2 weeks of trying to treat probable Mareks. I fought for her because she was fighting. But when I came home yesterday she was suffering and my husband was at work. I read all the techniques. I wasn’t comfortable with cervical manipulation. I decided on decapitation although it seemed very traumatic and out of a horror movie. I didn’t feel comfortable with a knife. I used my husband’s table saw. I started puking and hyperventilating afterwards. Couldn’t sleep last night. I’ve felt sick all day. I know I’m an animal lover and tenderhearted but I’m a nurse so I thought I could handle it. I know I did the right thing but I feel so awful and I’m not sure I’ll ever forget that.
Dear @pugspigchicks,
:hugs
What I said to the OP of this thread needs to be repeated here:
I am sorry for the experience you had and
I'm sorry that your chicken got sick to begin with.

Please know that you did what you thought was best at the time to end her suffering.

From your post it is obvious that your sweet bird was loved and cared for.
It's my belief that what memories she carried with her at the end, were ones of the happy life you provided, not a moment of fear or pain or confusion at the end.

I think with loss that was as viscerally traumatic as yours, you have to allow yourself to come to terms with it over time. In order to be able to put it in a safe place in your mind, then move on, you have to do this. Blocking it out won’t help in the long term because that will also block out the memories you have of loving her and experiencing the joy that her life brought you!
This takes time. I know this for a fact.
I’ve suffered many losses, including the loss of a son by suicide.
I am sending you a hug.
Stacey j

Back
Top Bottom