Evaluating My Blue Australorp Cockerels

I have very deliberately bought more birds than I need with the specific intent of selling. I keep that in mind from the moment I place the order.
If I could find a market, I'd consider doing the same thing. How do you find buyers? Everyone near me who wants chickens has them, or can get them. I am waaay out there in the boonies, though.

I have an extra cockerel that I need to get rid of. He is the one in my profile picture. Sweet boy, just nobody wants a rooster. A lot of people around here have standard flocks. He is a sweet boy. I hatched him myself. I think I will try Craigslist....

I sold some last year through the buy-sell-trade forum here.

This year I've had good luck with Craigslist.
I've never listed anything on CL, so maybe that would be a way to go. My problem would be I'd only have cockerels, and they might be hard to even give away.

Hmmm... my neighbor wants a cockerel or roo... And she has enough pullets for two flocks with their own guy... (Can you see the cogs a-turnin' in my brain?)

I have an extra cockerel that I need to get rid of. He is the one in my profile picture. Sweet boy, just nobody wants a rooster. A lot of people around here have standard flocks. He is a sweet boy. I hatched him myself. I think I will try Craigslist....
My problem would be I'd only have cockerels, and they might be hard to even give away.

The one thing with Craigslist and roosters is that you have to understand that they're very likely to be eaten.

I *might* try to sell my unwanted Blue Australorp boys -- because they're an unusual breed. But if they don't sell I'll eat them myself rather than give them away.

Likewise for the Blue Cuckoo Marans boy. He's going up for sale with the next round of pullets because a Blue Cuckoo Marans might be worth more to someone than a chicken dinner.

The one thing with Craigslist and roosters is that you have to understand that they're very likely to be eaten.

I *might* try to sell my unwanted Blue Australorp boys -- because they're an unusual breed. But if they don't sell I'll eat them myself rather than give them away.

Likewise for the Blue Cuckoo Marans boy. He's going up for sale with the next round of pullets because a Blue Cuckoo Marans might be worth more to someone than a chicken dinner.
I understand. I can convince myself that he is going to a good home. Maybe he would, maybe he wouldnt. I will hatch more chicks anyways. I am trying to come up with a bachelor coop though. Maybe I wont have to get rid of him.

Any more opinions on who is looking promising?

Specifically, for any breeder of blues, should I be worrying about that dark wash on their backs at this age or is that just a chick feather thing?
I think its a age thing mostly. Not 100%, it should gently fade a bit.

Back
Top Bottom