Evansville, IN

cityfarm47714

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 3, 2012
I am hoping to meet others with chickens locally. no i do not want your ph or address just to be able to learn what to expect any local hazard or hurdles I may be in for. maybe meet locally as a group.Better yet get involved with an already established group. Any one from Evansville IN

Hello! I am glad to see an Evansville post! I am sure there are many more of us. We live on the north side of Evansville, just outside the city limits-- near Mt. Pleasant Rd. We bought six Rhode Island Red chicks at Rural King at the first of March, so they are around 3 months old. We had an amazing coop built, have enjoyed them, but we are worrying that we might have at least 2 roosters. We personally can't kill them, but don't know where we can take them. I Googled and found Stonewell Farms in Evansville, so I asked them for any kind of help or referrals. That's why we need an Evansville area chicken enthusiasts group. We have read and researched lots about chickens and coops, so I might be able to help you with some things, but it's hard to find defining info about gender.

One thing that might help you is that my son who is 25 and a Purdue honors biology major, (and is currently an engineering student at USI) designed a chicken tractor from PVC pipe, which was much easier and less costly than other tractor designs.

i am so new to this chicken idea i really could not tell you about breeds.My husband is not currently employed and i am the only income so now i have the chickens (one rooster) and that are still living in the kennel. No current funds available for a chicken house/coop. However, they are set up with ceiling fan in the kennel and misting hose in backyard to help keep them cooled off from this heat. check my newest pictures in my profile.

Hi cityfarm47714 from the north side 47711: I am no breed expert, so I can't tell what yours are. Out of our 6 Rhode Island Reds from Rural King, we ended up with 5 cockerels!! So, we kept the only pullet and the nicest cockerel, and we traded the other cockerels for a Black Jersey Hen and an Ameraucana pullet. We'd like to get one more pullet, but are going to wait because of the heat-- they are already stressed enough. We have a mister and two small and two large fans. I spray their free range area with the hose a few times a day. They have some areas where they have dug down to the cool soil and made a cooler place to rest and take a "bath." I even took a hand tool this evening and tilled some areas in the flower bed so they had fresh dirt to explore. I've added extra water bowls and change their water a few times a day. They like cold watermelon. With 107 temps, it's amazing they are still alive. We have not had any eggs-- we're guessing that it is just too hot.

As far as your question about hen nesting boxes, I've read that you can use plastic cat litter boxes filled with pine shavings. You can get a huge bag of pine shavings (do not get cedar) for $5 at the TriState Vet and Pet on Burkhardt that will last for months. We have some extra supplies, so please let me know if you need anything. My husband has been laid off more than once, so I can relate. I work part time for a company in the 47714 area. With these terrible temps, I am happy to help!

I am really sorry about not getting back to you-- we had out-of-town guest visiting, and it has been hectic. We have an extra large bag of pine chips, a bag of food (are yours laying yet? Ours aren't, but I assume it's from the heat and flock changes we've had), some oyster shell calcium, a cat box, and might have an extra small fan. I had bought supplies, and my son had as well, and we don't have much storage space, so that's why I thought I could donate those items to you if that would help you out. If there is anything specific that you could really use, we might have it. I'm going to be in the 47714 area on Friday, and I could meet you at a nearby shopping area if you prefer.

We live on the North side of Evansville and are doing fine so far with our "chick city" but we have a friend who has 3 roosters and would like to trade for some hens. We have one big Rhode Island and he rules in the "city:" Is there anyone out there that would like to have some beautiful roosters for trade for hens? Also I heard there is a club that meets at a restaurant here in town. We would like to meet up with that group for helpful hints and for mutual admiration of the pet chicken.

Hello Dave!

We live in Evergreen Acres off of Mt. Pleasant Rd. You can check out my profile although I haven't taken time to update it lately. Since my five of my original six RIR "pullets" turned out to be "cockerels," I found that advertising on craigslist "farm & garden: for sale" was really helpful. I wanted to make sure mine when to good homes, and weren't eaten since they were pets. I can email one of the people I met who took one of mine, and see if he knows anyone who would take the roosters. Please let me know about the chicken enthusiasts club, because I have been wondering if one existed in this area.

Julie Haddan
[email protected]

I live on the north side of Evansville as well. We bought 3 reds and 3 leghorns from Rural King-our biggest fear is that we get stuck with a bunch of roosters. So far so good. One of the "ladies" has even taken the role of mother hen (no pun intended!). I heard that soemtime when you have all ladies, one of them could start crowing like a rooster.

Back
Top Bottom