Even The Experienced have issues

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Baralak, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

Well... I had a class I teach and was gone till late Friday night.. Got home, checked the thermometers because my two incubators were to go into lockdown Saturday evening. I got up early Saturday and checked the bators quickly, showered and left out... I arrived back home around 2pm ready to pull my turner out of my 1602n and fill the water.. I pulled the top, and low and behold I had 2 zipping, and about 15 pips.. With assistance, I removed all the eggs, took out the turner, and put them back in the bator after adding water. I have 2 already hatched as of right now, and several zipping.. 2:00 pm was the end of day 18 BTW. And remember in my older posts, I had 6 hours of no power one day, and a few another day through this hatch..

But got fuzzy's lol.. I was just expecting them late Sunday, Monday.. lol.

I was gonna get the brooder ready tomorrow afternoon, guess I will be working on it in the morning!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. CDennis

CDennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    Glad to hear the good outcome of the hatch!

3. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Why were they hatching out on day 18?

Congratulations .... happy for you that they are hatching. Hope the rest do well for ya!

4. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

They are hatching early for one main reason that I can come up with... I used that piece of junk thermometer that I have said over and over again not to use.. Well I didn't listen to myself, and used it. More than likely I ran a little warm through-out the incubation. My other bator that was to go into lockdown at the same time is normal. Movement in the eggs, but no pips yet. My problem was that I have 3 incubators running so I spread my thermometers out amongst the three bators. I will be investing in some better thermometers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A few of the chicks that are out have issues, and one has not absorbed the yoke sac properly, still has a black eye pea size sac, but we are working on it. Two others have the straight leg laying on back thing. I'm giving them drops of sugar water and poly-vi-sol. One has come around, but the second is still looking kinda sad.

Here is said Piece of Junk Thermometer... I generally have it sitting on top of the eggs.

[​IMG]

5. pkw

pkw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    North Edwards, CA
    I sure hope everything goes well for your little chickies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by