Evening Coop Drama with 11 hens

AnneRaduns

Chirping
Jun 15, 2021
Central Florida
Adventure Chicken will not roost with Lottie. Macaroon will only roost with Lottie, but never next to Dunkin'. Fifi will only roost next to Mystery Chicken or Wiccan but never next to the 2 Cinnamon Queens. Xena will roost next to the Cinnamon Queens but not Adventure Chicken. Chicken Helper doesn't want to roost next to anyone. Period.

All of this means that I am going into the coop every, single, night and rearranging chickens. Some are on the floor because of the pecking and otherwise high drama behavior. Once I put them next to their preferred roosting mate, we have peace in the coop. How big is the coop you may ask, it's big enough for 20 chickens. It's 5 feet long by 3 feet wide. I have 3 sets of roosting bars. But I have a coop full of drama queens. Seriously, pick a roosting spot and settle in. Gee whiz.

I am wondering if I stop rearranging them if they will figure all this out my themselves? I am reluctant to allow the chickens to stay on the floor when there are perfectly good roosting bars to use (not to mention I don't want them pooped on). Anyone have any idea on how to stop the nightly coop drama? Or should I just ignore it? Thank you in advance - Anne and the Ocala Chickens

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-03 at 1.05.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-03 at 1.05.38 PM.png
    4 MB · Views: 54
I am confused - 4 chickens inside a coop that is 5 feet long and 3 feet wide? I posted a picture above. I have a 3ft roosting bar and then other 3 ft roosting bar, slightly below and in front of the other roosting bar. And then long way I have a 4.5 ft roosting bar.

I am confused - 4 chickens inside a coop that is 5 feet long and 3 feet wide? I posted a picture above. I have a 3ft roosting bar and then other 3 ft roosting bar, slightly below and in front of the other roosting bar. And then long way I have a 4.5 ft roosting bar.
Yes, each chicken should have a minimum of 4sq ft of coop space. So that would mean you could have about 4 chickens in there.
They're roosting is a little cramped though.

Last edited:
Adventure Chicken will not roost with Lottie. Macaroon will only roost with Lottie, but never next to Dunkin'. Fifi will only roost next to Mystery Chicken or Wiccan but never next to the 2 Cinnamon Queens. Xena will roost next to the Cinnamon Queens but not Adventure Chicken. Chicken Helper doesn't want to roost next to anyone. Period.

All of this means that I am going into the coop every, single, night and rearranging chickens. Some are on the floor because of the pecking and otherwise high drama behavior. Once I put them next to their preferred roosting mate, we have peace in the coop. How big is the coop you may ask, it's big enough for 20 chickens. It's 5 feet long by 3 feet wide. I have 3 sets of roosting bars. But I have a coop full of drama queens. Seriously, pick a roosting spot and settle in. Gee whiz.

I am wondering if I stop rearranging them if they will figure all this out my themselves? I am reluctant to allow the chickens to stay on the floor when there are perfectly good roosting bars to use (not to mention I don't want them pooped on). Anyone have any idea on how to stop the nightly coop drama? Or should I just ignore it? Thank you in advance - Anne and the Ocala Chickens
This sounds like one of those word puzzles

Back
Top Bottom