Eventful Monday...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by ajaldridge, Dec 14, 2010.

1. ajaldridge

ajaldridge Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2010
    FORSYTH, GA
    As normal we had a very eventful monday. The Chickies were already upset because its been snowing off and on since last week. It didn't help any that we have something trying to get into the chicken coop in the yard so we have started moving the chickens to the front porch coop at night again, we have a live animal trap set to catch the preditor so we can release it back out in the wild in a more appropriate area. Anyway due to the wind being bad we had the heat lamp turned on in the coop and I put them up for the night and went to get them some fresh warm water. When I get back one of the chickens had climbed up to where she was closer to the heat lamp and turned around to where her tail feathers were touching the lamp, it didn't take me long to figure out that the smell of burnt feathers was coming from her. I calmly put her tail feathers out and brought her inside to make sure she was ok. This entire time she is screaming like a banshee, you would've thought I was hurting her. My sister woke up and come out to the living room to see what was going on and realized what happened. I thought she'd be able to help me but she was to busy rolling around the floor laughing at us to be of any help. At least by doing that she distracted the poor little chickie who thought she'd lost it. All ended up good, I moved the heat lamp out of reach completely and brought up some plywood to help as a wind barrier when they are in the coop on the porch. The little chickie is doing ok, just a few singed feathers.

2. Nodaksnakelover

Nodaksnakelover Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    North Dakota
    OOPS! poor bird! Glad you were around to catch that!

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    OK, I have to say it. It is highly unlikely you need a heat lamp unless you are in Alaska, and even up there many don't use them. If you have it on in the coop on the porch, there is real danger of burning not only the coop and chickens but also the house. And in may areas it is illegal to relocate a predator.

4. ajaldridge

ajaldridge Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2010
    FORSYTH, GA
    All I have to do is take the animal to the wildlife animal refuge center, they test it for diseases and will relocate it for me. No problem there, I've done volunteer work there off and on since a teen and have watched lots of people do the same thing. Meanwhile the only reason I have the heat lamp on right now is it has gotten down to five degrees with the wind chill factor, and everyone else around here has informed me that I may need to use the heat lamp to help keep them warm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by