Ever ask a total stranger at TSC to buy chicks for you?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lceh, Mar 24, 2009.

1. lceh

lceh Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Virginia
    Okay, so our local TSC is getting its first chicks in on April 6. I have my own bantam peeps coming from Meyer on April 7 or 8, but the kids really want a couple of silkies so I thought we'd go to TSC and see if we can get a couple from their mixed bantam bin. The problem is, TSC has a 6-chick minimum purchase, and no way can I bring home more than 3, with 17 due to arrive the next day, or DH will have a heart attack. I'm thinking I'll show up around 7:45 (they open at 8) and wait around until someone else starts picking out chicks and ask them to buy my 3, then give them cash for them afterward. Has anyone else tried this? I thought about posting on Craigslist to see if anyone wanted to split a purchase with me, but fact is the "Urban Chicken" movement is REALLY booming here at the moment and I'm afraid if I spread the word about TSC's chick arrival date I'll be competing with people camping out overnight to get their chicks! The only problem with relying on the kindness of strangers is the fact that I'll have all 4 kids (6 yrs, & under) with me, which could be pretty challenging if we have to wait around long -- but maybe if I can get the kids to make big sad eyes someone will take pity on us...[​IMG]

Anyone else ever try this?

2. cimarron

cimarron Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Central Tejas
    that's a great idea to hook up with another chick purchaser! just be quiet and casual about it, and don't pick somebody who looks uptight! : ) i would do it for ya no problem. if chickens are popular i don't see why they have a minimum in the first place.

3. chiknwhisperer

chiknwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Lowell, IN
    I would do it [​IMG]

4. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    I did that with one of the gals that works there. I needed one EE for a friend and even though I had bought 13 the day before they still were sticking to the 6 rule. So I told one of the girls that work there and she said she was going to be getting 6 and I asked her if she would add one more and I would buy it from her. She did!!!!!!!!

Good luck. I would ask a stranger too!!!!!!!!!

Rene'[​IMG]

5. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    why don't you buy them and sell what you do not want to a likely looking prospect? If you wait around too long the other way, you might not get any..

6. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Do all tractor supplies have the 6 minimum rule, I called mine this morning to see if they got chicks in, they said they had, but when I in went they had only gotten Ducklings in (still fun to play with, LOL) but I didn't see a sign saying there was a minimum, I guess if I had tried to buy some they would have told me, cause I too was only looking to buy a couple of silkie chicks if they had them.

7. sugarbush

sugarbush Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Lexington KY
    Quote:Usually they are state or local laws that the feed stores are following....if they sold them one or two at a time it is more profit for them because they would sell more feeders, waterers, and feed.

8. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    No, TSC has the 6 chick minimum rule here too, even though it is not the law and other feed stores don't have a minimum (except special orders). I think it may be because they are a large chain. Perhaps they are worried about bad press.

9. jonesgirl

jonesgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Nevada
    All my feed stores give free bags of food or free chick the more you buy the more free stuff you get!
    Last year one had a sale buy 50 chicks get a bag of starter for free.. this year one had a sale saying buy 25 chicks get 2 free, buy 50 chicks get 5 free... ... We do not have a chick minimum problem here..

If we did I would totally ask someone to buy more for me :}

10. hensonly

hensonly Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    upstate NY
    Quote:TSC in my town has the same limit...they say it's a state law. Maybe to reduce the number of neglected chicks ending up at the animal shelters...if you have to buy six, you're less likely to get them on impulse?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by