Ever had a winter broody?

Hi

I have 2 silkie hens got all of them as babies in April 7th 2014 and they have both be on their eggs since November 10th 2014 and they been on them not leaving at all I guess that called brood. I am learning. I have a few silkie roosters. My question is that its very cold here in Ohio, so if these baby chicks are healthy do I remove them out of the coop away from the other chickens, I have a total of 14. They will all stay in the coop because it is very cold as of right now. So do I remove them right away and raise them myself in they own area just the baby chicks?

Thank you

Hi 

I have 2 silkie hens got all of  them as babies in April 7th  2014  and they have both be on their eggs since November 10th 2014  and they been on them not leaving at all I  guess that called brood. I am learning.    I have a few silkie roosters. My question is that its very cold here in Ohio, so if these baby chicks are healthy do I remove them out of the coop away from the other chickens,  I have a total of 14. They will all stay in the coop because it is very cold as of right now.  So do I remove them right away and raise them myself in they own area just the baby chicks?

Thank you 

I've had my silkies raise their babies through winter with no problems, with other chickens. Especially if their nesting close together. They're fantastic mothers, and if all the eggs are viable, you won't have to do anything besides provide chick feeders and feed,and water they can safely get to without falling in and drowning. Have you candled the eggs?

I've had my silkies raise their babies through winter with no problems, with other chickens. Especially if their nesting close together. They're fantastic mothers, and if all the eggs are viable, you won't have to do anything besides provide chick feeders and feed,and water they can safely get to without falling in and drowning. Have you candled the eggs?

Hi
I don't know how to do that? I have a question if we have a huge chicken feed for the other chickens how do I get the babies to eat the medicated chicken feed?

Thank you so much!

Any poultry supply should have chick feeders. They have little holes for their heads. But nobody can get in and mess up the feed. Silkie chicks are usually pretty small. Ant least mine are. For the footers week I add a little water to soften the day's food.,or run the feed in my coffee grinder to make the crumbles smaller.
A far as candling, I suggest some YouTube videos to learn how. It's actually pretty easy with a good flashlight.

Any poultry supply should have chick feeders. They have little holes for their heads. But nobody can get in and mess up the feed. Silkie chicks are usually pretty small. Ant least mine are. For the footers week I add a little water to soften the day's food.,or run the feed in my coffee grinder to make the crumbles smaller.
A far as candling, I suggest some YouTube videos to learn how. It's actually pretty easy with a good flashlight.

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom