Ever have a Roo that wasn't loud?

May 26, 2018
Lafayette, La
If this was asked 100x, I am sorry, I did a quick search around the forum and couldn't find any information on it.

However, I have a couple Roos from hatching my own eggs (wanted to do it at least once, I know silly). I think out of the 9 that hatched, 4 possibly 5 are roos. I have homes for 3 of them, the 1 I want to keep, and the other I am not sure if its a roo or not.

The one I want to keep usually lets out a little crow or two around 6:30am but nothing else for the rest of the day.

When he gets older will this continue this pattern or will I expect loud crows at sun rise.

I live in a suburban area and I already have one neighbor who has a problem that I simply have chickens and has threatened to call the city (even though I am following all ordinances).

I know all chickens are different, but I would rather look for a home now if its guaranteed to just get terrible.

1656448438637.png

Likely to get louder/more often. But quiet times too. Right now I'm wondering if mine are ok because it's so quiet. Does your local code allow for a rooster? If not, based on what you said of neighbor, go ahead and start looking for a home. Or plan to harvest once codes gets involved. Around here codes gives close to 30 days to make a corrective action on violations. So, even if you don't want to harvest you would likely still have time to find someone that would pick up a free chicken dinner. Good luck.

Pretty bird BTW

I live in a suburban area and I already have one neighbor who has a problem that I simply have chickens and has threatened to call the city (even though I am following all ordinances).

Some boys are louder and some are quieter. Some crow constantly and some less often. Some have pleasant voices and some have annoying voices.

If roosters are legal and you're complying with the codes then your neighbor is the one who is out of line. Don't give in to a bully because it only encourages them to bully harder.

But if roosters aren't legal then do look to rehome him. If you can show that you're working on it then code enforcement people are more likely to go easy when they get involved.

Likely to get louder/more often. But quiet times too. Right now I'm wondering if mine are ok because it's so quiet. Does your local code allow for a rooster? If not, based on what you said of neighbor, go ahead and start looking for a home. Or plan to harvest once codes gets involved. Around here codes gives close to 30 days to make a corrective action on violations. So, even if you don't want to harvest you would likely still have time to find someone that would pick up a free chicken dinner. Good luck.

Pretty bird BTW
I have never harvest a bird before. Am really tempted. I know you keep a sharp nice and I know the process just never did it.

No code that I can find that prevents rosters. Only thing would be noise ordinance depending on frequency and time of crowing.

He is beautiful. Ayam Cemani. Was really hoping it was a she. :(

If this was asked 100x, I am sorry, I did a quick search around the forum and couldn't find any information on it.

However, I have a couple Roos from hatching my own eggs (wanted to do it at least once, I know silly). I think out of the 9 that hatched, 4 possibly 5 are roos. I have homes for 3 of them, the 1 I want to keep, and the other I am not sure if its a roo or not.

The one I want to keep usually lets out a little crow or two around 6:30am but nothing else for the rest of the day.

When he gets older will this continue this pattern or will I expect loud crows at sun rise.

I know all chickens are different, but I would rather look for a home now if its guaranteed to just get terrible.

View attachment 3167099
Handsome Boy!

Some boys are louder and some are quieter. Some crow constantly and some less often. Some have pleasant voices and some have annoying voices.

If roosters are legal and you're complying with the codes then your neighbor is the one who is out of line. Don't give in to a bully because it only encourages them to bully harder.

But if roosters aren't legal then do look to rehome him. If you can show that you're working on it then code enforcement people are more likely to go easy when they get involved.

Thinking of risking it, if code enforcement comes into play then I will either find him a new home (so maybe I can get some of his chickens) or harvest the beautiful bird. Only thing is, its an ayam cemani, so the skin is black and that kinda freaks people out.

So seemly like the roosters wanted to get harvest, four of them decided to have a crowing battle at 4am and just kept crowing at each other. Needless to say I have already found them a new home about 2.5 hours away at a place that has a lot of chickens on a 50 acre lot and they need some unique Roos, luckily I bargained with him to take all 4, 2 being unique (ayam cemani and indio gigante) for free if he would send me a hen after he incubates some of the ayam cemanis eggs.

So road trip Saturday

So seemly like the roosters wanted to get harvest, four of them decided to have a crowing battle at 4am and just kept crowing at each other. Needless to say I have already found them a new home about 2.5 hours away at a place that has a lot of chickens on a 50 acre lot and they need some unique Roos, luckily I bargained with him to take all 4, 2 being unique (ayam cemani and indio gigante) for free if he would send me a hen after he incubates some of the ayam cemanis eggs.

So road trip Saturday

Sounds like you've arranged a win-win situation.

Back
Top Bottom