Ever hear of a broody tom turkey?

We had a broody tom this last spring. He is also a royal palm.
Same thing as you. He found a stash of chicken eggs in an old out house and decided to set.
We let him sit on them for about a month and none hatched. He was very dedicated to his eggs but he would stay off the nest a bit longer to eat then our hens ever did. When we finally took his eggs i checked them and none had developed at all. I suspect they were pullet eggs from their size so probably werent fertile in the first place.
I think he would of had a good chance of hatching some if they would of been good. I saw him turning them whenever he went back on the nest and he even pulled out feathers like chicken hens sometimes do.
Confused to say the least. I sold him soon after because i couldnt have a tom that acts like that.

Kidding.... We decided to only keep one breed so we sold our palms and kept our blue slates.

My Royal Palm tom also went broody. I at first thought he was sick, so I started to pick him up to see what was what - and lo and behold - there was an egg under him! I was relieved that he was not ill. Goofy bird.

I am in awe!! my very for sure without a doubt 100% male turkey has gone broody at first I thought he kicked my goose off her nest. . . . then 2 days later realized he has actually been both sharing the nest with her and taking turns so she can eat bathe and stretch her legs. He is very protective of "his" goose eggs he won't let anyone else come near them aside from his goose wife 😂

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220418-013955~2.png
    Screenshot_20220418-013955~2.png
    200.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20220417-184920~2.png
    Screenshot_20220417-184920~2.png
    369.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom