Ever hear of a Rhode Island Rock?

PYehl

Hatching
9 Years
Nov 8, 2010
brand new to chickens.... we did chores for a neighbor and my other half fell in love with watching their chickens... so we asked around and a friend knew of someone who would sell some of theirs to us. The guy said the farmer he got the chicks from said they were Rhode Island Rocks - but i can not find that breed anywhere online! We were supposed to only get hens (hatched in may so should be starting to lay soon). Anyhow next day we found out we definitely had a rooster. Guy was nice and said we can bring back any that end up being roosters... so took that one back now this morning one of the other original ones we got was crowing - and I swear the 3rd crowed too! So time to chase more chickens tonight and try to exchange for some hens... we just want eggs - no chicks or meat (vegetarians).

all of their waddles and combs look of equal size, spurs are just nubs for all of them... anyone know a good way of trying to figure out which ones might be hens when we trade in the other 2 tonight?? HELP!

DSC08091.JPG

DSC08096.JPG

the guy has like 50+ in his barn - they all look the same - he said he just started finding a couple eggs.

Anyone give me tips on knowing what to look for so I don't end up with more roos?

lookin up photos of golden comets - that isn't what the barn full of chickens he has... none are red - they are all more white with a notch of gold to reddish brown ... but none were all red like it shows the CG hens are.

ok so here are the 3 chickens I have right now...

this is the one that I found was crowing this morning.....

DSC08111.JPG

this is the one I think I saw crowed once....

DSC08112.JPG

and lastly this is the one I got after I traded in the last Rooster... he thought this was a hen:

DSC08113.JPG

do I still have 3 roosters??

Back
Top Bottom