ever process a SF

AtRendeAcres

Songster
12 Years
May 23, 2007
Clarion County
I an wondering if anybody has process a SF?

if so how was the meat?

being the roos have dark feathers was that a problem?
((I think my roo is about 20wks & the feathers near his skin seem to be white))

I have read a few places about it fine table qualities!

Love to hear personal opinions

Joanne

were they meaty?

they are suppose to have broad breasted ((did you have more breast meat than a BO, Rock, etc..))

how was plucking the dark feathers go?

I only butchered roosters. I had received him free from McMurray. He was a prolific breeder. We had generations from him. He was the same as the others, Buff O's and white rocks. They are pretty is a shame to butcher them. Was tired of half-breeds, I didn't have a hen in the breed.

Last edited:
Indiana Hens
hu.gif
I am wondering about plucking with their dark feathering ((Did they have a lot of pin feathers???))

mangled
got last spring from welp (I wanted to see what the Roos temperment was!

love.gif
((& I love him so much I ordered him some girls from Ideal)) coming the 29th
Even though I deal alot with hatcheries I try & get Roos at a different place than hens

if you want eggs next spring & come pick them up you are welcome to them!

idunno.gif
This is why I have so many questions I never really delt with SF (I try to stay away from dark feathering it is such a bear to pluck & squeezing those pinfeathers out)

I thought maybe it wouldn't be so bad because the roo has white feathers close to body!

Joanne

Roosters are all pretty much the same to pluck. Unless you like wearing gloves. You don't wear gloves do you?
wink.png
If you are going ahead with it just get it over with! I think they are pretty , I miss ours. Our Easter Egger looks almost the same.

Back
Top Bottom