Every flock has got a loner...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by whiteflare, Mar 29, 2011.

1. whiteflare

whiteflare Out of the blue

Mar 13, 2011
    Sydney
    Loners in the flock, they peck at anyone who comes within range, we always have to pour out separate food for her, otherwise either she won't let anyone near it, or she gets blocked out and refuses to go near the rest of the flock. Depends on who gets there first [​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Yep, every flock has one. In my adult flock it's Lilith, a buff brahma hen. In my younger flock it's Ellie Mae, a silkie hen.

3. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    Yep. I've got a loner in the flock. She was here first and I made the mistake of bring home 2 more older hens. It's a little better know 1 of the older hens will hang with her sometimes when the other is off somewhere or is laying. But she still is on her own most of the time. [​IMG] I too have seperate food and water for her.

4. newchik715

newchik715 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Washington
    I do not have any loners. I have an even numbered flock right now. Soon it will go from four to seven with six girls and one boy but in the meantime i have a very happy flock of four. I hope adding to it won't single anyone out!!!

5. Smittenroade

Smittenroade Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    North East Texas
    I throw my loners in the crock pot. They are usually more "tender" than the others. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  6. newchik715

newchik715 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Washington
    [​IMG]...that is sooo funny. love it!!

7. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    My loner hangs out with my silkies sometimes. I think it boosts her ego to boss the little girls around. [​IMG]

8. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    I too have four friends..no loners and fixing to add to them also. Keeping my fingers crossed.

9. nittanyxi

nittanyxi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    my loner is a white crested black polish. But she doesnt pick on anyone and no one picks on her. She just sort of does her own thing. If I let them out of the run they will break into two groups and my polish will be off someplace scratching by herself. Not a bad egg layer for a polish either. 2 eggs every 3 days.

10. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Yep i got a loner. She is a BO named claire. I have 14 hens and 2 roosters. They are somewhat a flock and then other times there are two flocks. The younger ones like to split. But she is always out front and im like hello thats not safe go with everyone else and she looks at me like, you really think i should hang out with them. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by