Every time!

I have WHAT in my yard?

Songster
11 Years
Jun 24, 2008
Eggberg, PA
We've had chooks for going on 3 years. We lost a bird or two to dogs, or hawks, but lately this has gotten ridiculous. We used to free range. A few months back we lost two girls to what I think was a fox. Then the next time we let them loose we lost another one. So I figured we would have to wait until spring when the predators were not so desperate. But, one got out on her own and we lost her. Then DH let them out to clean the coop. With him right there and the shop vac and tractor running we lost another!!!

Would a fox really come that close? I am pretty sure it isn't a dog, our own dog is very dog aggressive and would have a fit if there was a dog on our property.

Will waiting til spring even fix this or are our free ranging days over now that something knows our chickens are here?

Have you tried setting traps? My cousin thought the she just had A raccoon. Turns out in 2 weeks she caught 1 female raccoon and 5 babies, another adult racoon, 1 opposum with babies still in her pouch and another adult. All in 2 weeks time.

Maybe you have families of predators living too close for comfort.

Wow, thats awful! so sorry.
how about an enclosed run with a wire top and electric fence for protection?
sure sounds like you have a fox living close by
and knows that if they chickens are coming out, it will be daytime
good luck

Yes my guess is a fox. They will come into the yard for a nice juicy chicken, grab it quick and are on their way. They will not leave a trace. No feathers or anything. That is why they are known as sly creatures. A well built run can avoid this..but make sure it has a bottom to it or the fox or something else will try digging under it to get in.

Yes a fox will come that close. Just last spring a Red Fox came after me after trying to scare it away for the third time. I finally went in the house and got the shotgun and took care of her. I guess I should have called animal control to have her remains tested for rabies, but I didn't. She was trying to get into a run that I just built and didn't have the electric fence on yet. I haven't had to shoot any predators since the electric fence has been installed. I'd rather the predators that are around to learn to stay away, than to dispatch them only for another(maybe more determined) predator to move in. In my area we had several fox bites last year where the fox chased the victim and attacked them.

Back
Top Bottom