Everyone is pulling out eachothers feathers... WHY?

Some causes of pecking and cannibalism: http://msucares.com/poultry/management/poultry_pecking.html

Poultry Protector might be fine if you want to give mites something to swim in, eventually dry off, and continue partying on chicken blood. There's numerous junk on the market today claiming to do this or that, claiming to be "natural or sustainable". All marketing techniques. Use what works or bear the consequences of sick birds.

I've used Pick No More and it is as useless as chocolate pudding. You can try the Vick's, you have nothing to lose at this point. Then if they continue...cull them.

I agree. Can't hurt to try though I know nothing about using the Vick's. These birds have been at this for so long that I honestly don't think you are going to break them of this no matter what you do.

I'm deferring to the experts who have already spoken of course. We recently had a feather picker and it was suggested to throw a couple handfuls of scratch around the run daily to keep the birds busy as well as spreading some alfalfa around for protein. It seems to have worked for us. I see that you're free ranging now so this may not be relevant to your situation.

I agree. Can't hurt to try though I know nothing about using the Vick's. These birds have been at this for so long that I honestly don't think you are going to break them of this no matter what you do.

It can be stopped most of the time if there are no injuries on one bird to attract the others in my experience. You know enough living space is very important, plenty of nests (one nest for every 3-4 birds), roost space, protein, greens on range or provided, etc. I have heard numerous times from old timers that believe inbreeding has much to do with anxious picking. I have yet to see studies which confirm that though. Best to avoid breeds like Rhode Island Reds unless you've raised chicks of other breeds over time, in my opinion, based on what I've witnessed. Leghorns can even be a challenge to new folks since they panic as chicks, and have a tendency to pile up and can suffocate/crush each other. Extra attention is necessary with some breeds.

I've had a hen or two in the past that suddenly became vicious too. Often, when a rooster passes on, then a hen has to take over if the rooster isn't replaced. The wrong one attaining top of the pecking order could be a nasty one, and it should either be culled if other hens are being injured excessively, or a good, even tempered rooster brought in to suppress the chaos. That may sound male chauvinistic, but it is nature as I've witnessed it. I've heard of plenty of folks raising chicks to maturity without a rooster, and had no problems. The pecking order seems to be established early, before injury can occur. Again, I think proper management, space, and diet can alleviate many of these injurious pecking problems.

Last edited:
We'll last night we coated all the bald spots with blue cote and put a few dabs of Vicks on each hen with the bald spots, seems to have stopped most of the pecking, well see.

PinkE I feel your pain!! I'm going through a near identical experience with my 6 girls. They started picking on 2 of my Australorps this winter and I feel like I've tried everything in the book. I've done the blue kote, vicks, Net-tex spray and nothing seems to help. One of them is half naked and the feathers aren't coming back. I've resorted to building the two 'lorps their own little tractor coop for the summer. I still let them free range together and sleep together just to keep them integrated, but I don't plan to leave them in the coop together until after they molt and get their feathers back this fall. Plus I can't keep them in the tractor over winter so I won't have a choice but to put them back together. I made an apron for the half naked girl but it only covers her back, her legs and butt are still red and raw. I'm afraid she's sun/wind burned!
So I'll be following your ordeal to see if you come up with anything, and I'll let you know if I find anything!

Well, I think I finally solved the problem, I gave 2 birds away to a lady with a big farm....They were the 2 agressors, I did a lot of watching, I even got a spray bottle and when I would see the attacks I would shoot a stream of water on them, they would stop, but as soon as I left it continued. It has been about 2 weeks, the hens left are much calmer, relaxed, I see a big difference in them, the feathers are coming in now. It was hard to give the 2 birds away(Buff Orph and Cherry egger) they were my pets, I gave them everything I knew to stop the picking, ALL the above mentioned solutions but I couldn't cull them, I guess that's a part of chicken keeping I will have to learn, and in the end giving them away was the best choice. There on a large farm with other chickens, roosters, Peacocks, alpacas...it's a beautiful place. I hope they adjust and live a long happy life. Thanks everyone for all your help.

Back
Top Bottom