Everyone Post Pics Of Their Turkeys!!!

Larry's Christmas Picture
71933_img_0753.jpg

He is very cooperative about posing for pictures.
71933_img_0745.jpg

He would love to live in the house. But poop is a problem. He stands at the door and gobbles to come in.I try not to let him in much because I worry about the temperature change. But he does come in for short visits every few days. I'll see what happens in the summer when we leave the doors open. I might need turkey diapers.

He would love to live in the house. But poop is a problem. He stands at the door and gobbles to come in.I try not to let him in much because I worry about the temperature change. But he does come in for short visits every few days. I'll see what happens in the summer when we leave the doors open. I might need turkey diapers.

That is WONDERFUL!!!! My poor DH would probably call that the last straw here, but I can soooo see it! Our chickens are constantly trying to come in (with NO regard for our husky who'd LOVE them to come right on in....) Instead they just leave poo on the front porch - which you have to clean fast since it seems like it flash freezes at 5 degerees!

Steve - gorgeous birds! Do you have any pictures of MW with standard size turkeys or maybe even chickens? I have a bunch of MW coming in the spring and am trying to gage how small they are compared to my Narragansetts (I know the weight difference but to see them together would be so helpful!)

Thanks for starting this thread - love looking at all these birds.​

Quote:
Thats no bearded hen thats a gobbler for sure

Is that why she lays lots of eggs?
hu.gif
Because she's a gobbler?
idunno.gif
I don't think so.
lau.gif

Here she is with one of her hatches.

44102_p5010009.jpg

About 1 out of every 100 hens show somewhat a sign of a beard. Barnhams just happens to be 4". We thought she was a tom for the 1st year, hence the name, .... until the eggs started arriving. She's been a great mom for 7 years now.

That's so funny I was just about to ask about bearded hens! The new one I just bought has a beard and none of mine do. She is definately a 2 year old hen that has hatched chicks already . . . but the funny thing is the breeder I got her from, ALL of his hens are bearded and UNRELATED. How does that happen?

mr. birdaholic :

Quote:
Thats no bearded hen thats a gobbler for sure

Is that why she lays lots of eggs?
hu.gif
Because she's a gobbler?
idunno.gif
I don't think so.
lau.gif

Here she is with one of her hatches.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/44102_p5010009.jpg

About 1 out of every 100 hens show somewhat a sign of a beard. Barnhams just happens to be 4". We thought she was a tom for the 1st year, hence the name, .... until the eggs started arriving. She's been a great mom for 7 years now.​

I knew hens could get beards but i saw that picture and its neck+head were uncharacteristacly red

I love Larry! My turkeys would love to come inside, especially the hens, if for no other reason than to be all up in my business. They get themselves on the wrong side of the fence, then come to my front porch and yip until I carry them across the kitchen to the other side. Tom is too dignified to admit that he got himself stuck, but he's usually smart enough to fly back without my assistance. The girls are SUCH crybabies.

On the Duck forum, Nettie makes wonderful duckie harnesses/diapers. I'm not sure how it could work for turkeys, especially strutting toms, but she might be able to fashion something for you. Her website is www.indoorducks.com. She made me a wonderful set-up for my Muscovy drake.

I think the BF would not just have canaries if I let the turkeys in the house, he'd be spitting out poults himself!

Back
Top Bottom