Everyone with bantam roosters please let me know...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rebecca10782, Feb 19, 2009.

1. rebecca10782

rebecca10782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    how loudly they crow. I know that some can crow very loudly and some sound like kazoos [​IMG] I have two bantam chicks and am starting to wonder if I got myself into trouble. I have concluded that they are Sabelpoots because they have huge vulture hawks at only two weeks (I was hoping seramas.) If they end up not crowing to loudly everything will be fine, but I just want to get an idea of how many bantam roosters (specifically D'uccles or Sablepoots) have very loud crows. Thanks for your help [​IMG]

2. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi,

I don't want to discourage you, but I had to rehome all my "unexpected" Bantam roosters, as they were very loud. None of the breeds you mentioned, but Cochins, Silkies, and some mixes. Good luck! Genie

Edited to add: These Bantam roos were so cute, I was really hoping I could keep just one, but no... [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  3. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    My Silkie Roo just started crowing 2 weeks ago and he is getting louder and louder. My neighbors are going to shoot me. He is being rehomed tomorrow, so yes, bantams will crow LOUD. He crows all day long, not just the morning. Definately a pain in the butt. If it were just a few times in the morning, it would be fine. Good Luck!

4. cristy17

cristy17 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 3 Dutch Bantam roos. I also have 3 standard roos. The little guys aren't as loud as the big guys. They kind of sound like a little boy trying to imitate dad - not quite as loud.

5. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    I have BBR (bantam barred rock) and he has a quiet little crow. That is compared to the Bantm frizzled cochins that I use to have, they were loud!

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I have a banty Golden Sebright- he is LOUD and goes all day and quite a bit of the night. Between Pico and John Henry, the EE roo, it's a wonder I haven't heard from someone about it! We are rural, but I know they hear them. Some other folks down the highway about 1/4 mile from here have a banty roo, too. I hear him.

7. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    its about the same as Large fowl, crowing volume depends on the breed, individual etc.. but all of my OEGBs seem to have a loud crow.. inside you can barely hear them and their just outside my window.. But outside you can hear them a pretty good ways.. they seem to crow more then the large american game rooster i have as well.

8. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I think they all must vary a bit because I have a silkie rooster and a ameraucana Bantam rooster and I don't think they are loud. I have houses all around and the neighbors barely hear them.

9. deenamr

deenamr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2008
    Central Oregon
    I have a silver pheonix banty roo. His crow is loud when
    I am outside but can hardly hear it if I am in the house. The chicken coop is probably only 15 feet from the house. I am a little concerned about the summer when I will be sleeping with open windows. He crows a several times during the day but not for extended periods of time. I live on 5 acres and have had no complaints from the neighbors. When I mentioned him they didn't even realize I had gotten a roo.

10. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    I have silkie roos and they crow very loud. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by