Everything About Ducks!

Hi everyone! I wanted to post a thread about ducks! I don't have any but hopefully in the future. Until then, I want to know what breed of ducks you have,(fell free to post pics of them😊) what you use for their water source, kiddie pool, pond, etc. or something else that could be great for that purpose! Do you have a coop for your ducks, how do you get them to go up at night and will they lay eggs in the coop, and lastly, do you keep your ducks pinned up or how long do you let them free range because I hear they are good foragers. I look forward to your responses and pictures! Thanks in advance!
I have 8 ducks, 6 hens and 2 drakes to be precise.
They're 3 cayuga ducks 2 blue swedish and 2 pekin ducks and 1 khaki Campbell.
20220513_102225.jpg
20220510_190538.jpg

Chiharu is the Cayuga drake with the white feathers he is 9 years old and is my oldest duck.
Totoro (cayuga hen) and Angel (pekin hen) are both 8 maybe 9 I know their younger then Chiharu.
The drake in the back is Totoro and Chiharus son Haru.
Totoro hatched Haru and his sister Maria.
R.I.P Maria, from 14-8-2019 01-7-2021.

They will lay their eggs pretty much wherever they want although my ducks lay them really early in the morning so they're usually laid in the coop before I let them out.
I've seen Jem (the khaki) lay an egg in one of the chicken nesting boxes a few times, as well as Duck (one of the blue swedish).

I have 4 water containers just for them to drink out of, and one bucket for swimming which is in one of the pictures above.
I want to add more but for now this is all the water containers they have.

I really like Pekin ducks, cayugas and blue swedish. My two blue swedes are silly and love water, they have such character.

I think you'll love ducks, mine have to free range all day, it used be all night to but swift fox tried to get the ducks a few years ago and it came back a couple nights in a row so I decided I was gonna lock them up every single night since then.
The swift fox never killed any of my birds but it did hurt the khaki a little and my younger pekin Angelina.
I don't have a coop just for the ducks but my coop setup right now is not ideal I'm working on trying to find a shed to convert into a coop for the chickens and ducks and once I have a good coop I will share it with you.

Attachments

• 20220510_190427_HDR.jpg
    20220510_190427_HDR.jpg
    682 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220530_144129_HDR.jpg
    20220530_144129_HDR.jpg
    701.2 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom