Everything About Ducks!

Obsessed With Silkies

Free Ranging
Jan 15, 2022
Hi everyone! I wanted to post a thread about ducks! I don't have any but hopefully in the future. Until then, I want to know what breed of ducks you have,(fell free to post pics of themšŸ˜Š) what you use for their water source, kiddie pool, pond, etc. or something else that could be great for that purpose! Do you have a coop for your ducks, how do you get them to go up at night and will they lay eggs in the coop, and lastly, do you keep your ducks pinned up or how long do you let them free range because I hear they are good foragers. I look forward to your responses and pictures! Thanks in advance!

I have two Pekin girls at the moment and a hopefully girl Khaki duckling :)they get to sleep in the coop with the hens, they free range, and lay their eggs in the bottom of the coop, like in the bedding. I haven't gotten them trained to boxes, but we also just aren't set up for that. Ducks are so pretty and so fun to have around!
PXL_20211221_025222391.PORTRAIT.jpg

We use the coop that was left here when we moved, it was made for chickens so we just tweaked it a bit. Extra wide ramp with side rail and removed the roosting bars. They seem to love it and even lay eggs in the nesting boxes..... most of the time šŸ˜‚ sometimes itā€™s like an Easter egg hunt around here.

As far as going in at night, mine WILL NOT DO THIS ON THEIR OWN!!! So we have to heard them in. If it were up to them theyā€™d camp out on the lawn all night. Ours free range 95% of the time. They stay in our yard most of the time except for occasionally sneaking to my neighbors to sunbathe. I can tell a huge difference in the amount of feed they eat when free ranging vs being ā€œcooped upā€. They are amazing foragers!

For their water in the coop we have 5 gallon buckets with poultry cups, I love them! They keep the water mess down! Then for their pool we used to do kiddie pools but had an old plastic utility sled laying around and we now use that.

Ducks are the best! Theyā€™re my absolute favorite!

Currently I have 2 pekins, a khaki campbell and a blue Swedish. Iā€™m in the process of getting some welsh harlequin eggs to hatch which Iā€™m super excited about!
BD7B826D-2E0C-4BB3-9869-31E6045FA9B5.jpeg

Awesome feedback! If I were to get ducks, Welsh Harlequin would be my first pick. They are just so beautiful! You should do a hatch along for those eggs! I'd love to join in on that!
My kids want welsh harlequins so thatā€™s why weā€™re picking those. I also think theyā€™re beautiful, theyā€™re just hard to find hatching eggs in my area. If it were up to me Iā€™d have all pekins, theyā€™re my favorite.

Yes I for sure will! Once I get the eggs and get them going Iā€™ll come back here and let ya know where to find the thread.

Hi everyone! I wanted to post a thread about ducks! I don't have any but hopefully in the future. Until then, I want to know what breed of ducks you have,(fell free to post pics of themšŸ˜Š) what you use for their water source, kiddie pool, pond, etc. or something else that could be great for that purpose! Do you have a coop for your ducks, how do you get them to go up at night and will they lay eggs in the coop, and lastly, do you keep your ducks pinned up or how long do you let them free range because I hear they are good foragers. I look forward to your responses and pictures! Thanks in advance!
My girls I hatched and raised myself! Dougie and Sprightly- They're gorgeous! They came from supermarket eggs, so their breed isnt certain- all I know is that theyre an aylesbury mix, I suspect they're part pekin.
They live in the house overnight/poor weather days while we finish their final pen/house. But they go out daily for exercise in a temporary pen, with a little kiddie pool!
Our future plan for our pen in progress, we're going to have a large pond to one end, a forage area up the other side, and a secure spacious duck house.
I keep my girls penned, I'm unlikely ever to free range, perhaps in the future, under supervision for part of the daytime-but I worry about predators. I do however feel strongly that ducks should be given as much space as absolutely possible. And that they shoild have enough room for various enrichment, especially water to swim in.
I'll be adopting one or two more girls sometime soon to complete my small flock (for now, until I can extend my pen even more ;))

Attachments

• IMG-20220211-WA0005.jpeg
    IMG-20220211-WA0005.jpeg
    237.1 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom