Shelter for ducks during the day in cold rainy weather

goats-n-oats

Songster
Feb 10, 2022
Hi, I'm new to ducks and having an ongoing struggle with proper housing for them. 11 ducks 4 months old. They are trained to hop up into a horse trailer inside the chicken coop in a new steel barn, and in the morning they will go out on their own, usually when there is a bit of daylight. (It is an ongoing struggle to get them to go inside at dusk- any little noise or rooster will spook them and they try to run back to the pond.) Today the weather is cold, rainy, and windy in the Midwest. I'm concerned the ducks might suffer from exposure. They are sticking close to the barn but will not come back in until dusk. I built them a little shelter by the pond but they won't go near it. I put some food in the shelter but they still didn't go near it; even after seeing the chickens eat it. Short of permanently housing them in a large cage with a kiddy pool, not sure how to provide proper shelter for these ducks.
IMG_20231121_100759020.jpg
IMG_20231121_100846341_HDR.jpg

Your ducks are being ducks!

I have a duck that hates the rain and will go inside the coop when it is raining, standing there looking forlorn. The others stay outside, getting wet and looking forlorn! Your ducks will not suffer ill effects from the cold now they are fully feathered. If it's too uncomfortable for them, they will take shelter before dusk

I use to rush mine in with rain storms but now I realize they enjoy wet grass to dig in
I have a covered deck , enclosed outdoor area attached to the coop where I keep all the feed and water
( Keeps snow and rain out of the feed ). I have other little houses set up and yet mine still sit outside In rain and wind

Mine hang out under a fir tree in the worst winter weather. I think the low branches and snow make an igloo and the ground stays bare. Last year we had record cold weather and out they ran only to sleep under their tree all day.

Attachments

• 20231121_143939.jpg
    20231121_143939.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 24
  • D03F278346B9_1670620759235.jpg
    D03F278346B9_1670620759235.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 25
I've mostly given up on getting my 3 muscovy off the pond into the coop. They trust me, up to a point; they'll enter the coop with me inside, and out of curiosity during the day. They've just learned not to go in right after sunset with me outside the door! An auto door didn't help. Food/snack Incentives haven't mattered. One day the coop is a great place, but once they are confident about their diving, they'd rather sleep on the water, or on the island, or just stay awake on the bank, then snooze during the next day.

I think having a large natural pond is not as common and circumstances of success getting 'em from the pond to the coop haven't been thoroughly discussed. If I'm wrong, please direct me to those threads. Possibly, it's a breed or some other issue. Maybe there's something I've yet to try. I will place a low wattage plastic covered pet warmer under their straw during a cold snap this winter. I think I can trick and shut 'em in 1 more time, then they'll never allow themselves to be fooled again. I'd going to give it my best shot and move on.

Today we had horizontal rain. My 5-month-old ducklings/ducks? went crazy diving, splashing, and skiing as they flapped their wings. It would make a happy video. There's shelter for 'em to get under but only use those occasionally for shade in the summer.

Your ducks aren't muscovy are they? Don't give up. They'll live longer and thrive more sleeping in a warm safe shelter.

Last edited:
Mine hang out under a fir tree in the worst winter weather. I think the low branches and snow make an igloo and the ground stays bare. Last year we had record cold weather and out they ran only to sleep under their tree all day.
My ducks loved hiding under a tree like yours when we were in Northern Virginia for the first 10 months of this year!! We are all back home now in NE Florida and it doesn't get so cold!! I'm always surprised that my ducks don't seek out sunny spots for hanging out in cold weather. They don't seem to notice the temperature difference between a sunny spot and a shady one

My ducks loved hiding under a tree like yours when we were in Northern Virginia for the first 10 months of this year!! We are all back home now in NE Florida and it doesn't get so cold!! I'm always surprised that my ducks don't seek out sunny spots for hanging out in cold weather. They don't seem to notice the temperature difference between a sunny spot and a shady one
True. My wife used to fret cause our ducks would hang in the shade during our 1st cool snaps. I talked a while with the patriarch of the 3 acre pond rec farm when rehoming our big white muscovy. He said their large weeping willow was favored by all ducks and geese migrating thru. It was like a fortress against birds of prey and a shelter from hard rains.

Your shoreside shelter looks well thought out, kinda cool. I'm noticing that ducks are rather sensitive creatures. Mine don't like anything above 'em that doesn't sound like the trees in a forest. Does its' roof creak in the morning sun, rumble in the rain, or shudder in the wind? Composite roofing? They should love the double openings.

Also, a pair of wild geese come to nest along our pond every January. They enjoy small piles of straw tossed out alongside the pond in a few spots. Seems you're giving 'em a environment that ducks can love.

It may be worth looking up breed tolerance to cold. Most posts I read usually includes a search for what region the OP lives. Knowing the laws, culture, and climate is useful. I don't know if it'd be practical to build that into the forum someday but could be helpful.

Last edited:
I've mostly given up on getting my 3 muscovy off the pond into the coop. They trust me, up to a point; they'll enter the coop with me inside, and out of curiosity during the day. They've just learned not to go in right after sunset with me outside the door! An auto door didn't help. Food/snack Incentives haven't mattered. One day the coop is a great place, but once they are confident about their diving, they'd rather sleep on the water, or on the island, or just stay awake on the bank, then snooze during the next day.

I think having a large natural pond is not as common and circumstances of success getting 'em from the pond to the coop haven't been thoroughly discussed. If I'm wrong, please direct me to those threads. Possibly, it's a breed or some other issue. Maybe there's something I've yet to try. I will place a low wattage plastic covered pet warmer under their straw during a cold snap this winter. I think I can trick and shut 'em in 1 more time, then they'll never allow themselves to be fooled again. I'd going to give it my best shot and move on.

Today we had horizontal rain. My 5-month-old ducklings/ducks? went crazy diving, splashing, and skiing as they flapped their wings. It would make a happy video. There's shelter for 'em to get under but only use those occasionally for shade in the summer.

Your ducks aren't muscovy are they? Don't give up. They'll live longer and thrive more sleeping in a warm safe shelter.
Thanks for your insights. My ducks are Cayuga and Khaki Campbell from Metzer.

Thanks everyone for your comments and [adorable] duck pictures :)
These ducks do not seem to be comfortable in the cold / ice / snow at all. They refused to come in one night, then the temp went down to about 35^, but then the next day when it started snowing 17^, their little legs were red from exposure, they stayed close to the barn fully exposed to wind and snow, and allowed me to herd them inside at 1pm (usually they are not ready to come in until after dusk). Yesterday during the snowstorm they huddled inside the coop all day. I guess I'll just have to learn how to manage them with the current conditions.

Back
Top Bottom