Housing situation with ducks and chickens

Jenjens

Songster
Jun 5, 2019
IL
I had to separate my drakes from my chickens because they were trying to mate them. They have their own houses but the gate in the yard that separates them closes off both houses. Now, it is getting cold and am worried that the ducks don't have access to shelter in the cold and snow. I usually switch them out later in the day so they are all happy, but the ducks won't have access to their house until then. And with winter coming not until 4 pm on weekdays. I have nowhere to build a house for them on the other side of the gate. They do have access to the deck that has a cover and straw to keep dry if need be, but just a top cover.

A couple of question: With the drakes' testosterone cool off so they can be with my chickens over the winter? Do they actually go into shelter in the cold? I don't recall them ever going inside the coop during the day last year, but alas, I have a full time job and may have missed it. My chickens also rarely go into the coop during the day unless it is super cold, raining or snowing.

The only thing I can think of, is to keep a shed open so they can go in there if they need to, but it's loaded with lawnmowers, snowblowers, etc. They could fit in, but it wouldn't necessarily be comfortable.

I have 2 female ducks and 2 males. And please don't judge my situation. Getting ducks was not planned in the first place, and we did try to rehome them, but no one wanted them. We got 2 girls to see if it would help with their obsessiveness over the chickens (which didn't even work)

Thanks in advance

I don't know how cold it gets where you live, but in general Ducks don't have problems with the cold. (except Muscovies, they do!)

When you have some car tires and fill them with straw so they can lay off the ground this is general enough. I've made my ducks houses in the past and will in the future. but the majority of the time they voluntarily stay outside. Even with ice or snow on their feathers.

However, I don't live in a really cold climate

My ducks will go huddle up under bushes and out of the wind but they do not usually go in their coop during the day. I also do not have it that cold (TN). That said, what if you stacked a hay bale or two to make walls under your deck. That way they have a roof and hay walls for blockage from wind. I believe it is the wind they need protection from.

I only have ducks so I can't answer about your chickens. My boy's hormones do calm down in the winter. But, they can still be jerks. Also, spring starts early for them, hormones are raging by February-March.

I don't know how cold it gets where you live, but in general Ducks don't have problems with the cold. (except Muscovies, they do!)

When you have some car tires and fill them with straw so they can lay off the ground this is general enough. I've made my ducks houses in the past and will in the future. but the majority of the time they voluntarily stay outside. Even with ice or snow on their feathers.

However, I don't live in a really cold climate
Thank you I am in Illinois, so it can get down to -25.

My ducks will go huddle up under bushes and out of the wind but they do not usually go in their coop during the day. I also do not have it that cold (TN). That said, what if you stacked a hay bale or two to make walls under your deck. That way they have a roof and hay walls for blockage from wind. I believe it is the wind they need protection from.

I only have ducks so I can't answer about your chickens. My boy's hormones do calm down in the winter. But, they can still be jerks. Also, spring starts early for them, hormones are raging by February-March.
That's genius! Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom