Ducks First Snow and Prep Question

Ronnie_

Chirping
Mar 1, 2023
Hi all!
Zone 6B and while we’ve have a few nights at 21-29F so far we haven’t had actual winter weather. Sunday we’re slated for some snow - it will be the ducks First!

Quick question on prep:
Right now the ducks have a 5’x 5’ x 5’ quack shack, that has a foot of bedding (deep litter) mix and pine and straw. Inside the shack is a sterlite bin on its side to provide a more “snuggly” area if they are cold. The house is made from OSB and doesn’t have insulated walls (just copious amounts of bedding and straw) - will this be alright for winter? I was told ducks do well without supplementary heat down below zero. But I worry- I didn’t add foam board as they would be able to peck at it and I was worried they’d ingest it.

Outside they have a 16’ x 12’ run, that is half roofed to provide shelter against rain/snow/sun. And I wrapped thick greenhouse plastic around the perimeter for the bottom 4 feet in height as a wind block. Straw substrate on top of gravel, and plenty of horse food buckets filled with water + 1 waterer on top of a bucket warmer.

Will my 3 ducks do alright for the next few months? They are locked into their house at night, and let out in the morning, and we fill the horse buckets up daily with warm water. I’ve been giving them cracked corn and peas before bed to help keep them warm too.

Just trying to make sure theres nothing else to prep before snow! If we get a polar vortex and it’s becomes brutally cold my emergency plan is a playpen area in my garage. But until something like that, they should be fine as is?

I was going to say the same thing but it means more coming from someone in a colder region. If it is going to get really cold one night, fill milk jugs or something similar with hot tap water and place on their pen. It will give off heat as it cools and freezes. You can also buy a remote thermometer at Walmart rather inexpensively. That way you know what the temperature is by them. It really is just a cheap way to have peace of mind.

My ducks spent skk day in the yard today
We were -10 c this morning
Last year they would come in and out of their coop to eat and drink when I t got -20
At -48 they wouldn’t come out at all
So we built a enclosed outdoor area made with greenhouse panels
It’s to keep wind , rain and snow out of the feed area
As for bath type waters I don’t allow those once we get in the negatives
I have 5 separate heated buckets
2 I keep by the house the other 3 are in the enclosed feed area
I also have 19 ducks and 2 geese so I need a few more then you would with 3

Hi all!
Zone 6B and while we’ve have a few nights at 21-29F so far we haven’t had actual winter weather. Sunday we’re slated for some snow - it will be the ducks First!

Quick question on prep:
Right now the ducks have a 5’x 5’ x 5’ quack shack, that has a foot of bedding (deep litter) mix and pine and straw. Inside the shack is a sterlite bin on its side to provide a more “snuggly” area if they are cold. The house is made from OSB and doesn’t have insulated walls (just copious amounts of bedding and straw) - will this be alright for winter? I was told ducks do well without supplementary heat down below zero. But I worry- I didn’t add foam board as they would be able to peck at it and I was worried they’d ingest it.

Outside they have a 16’ x 12’ run, that is half roofed to provide shelter against rain/snow/sun. And I wrapped thick greenhouse plastic around the perimeter for the bottom 4 feet in height as a wind block. Straw substrate on top of gravel, and plenty of horse food buckets filled with water + 1 waterer on top of a bucket warmer.

Will my 3 ducks do alright for the next few months? They are locked into their house at night, and let out in the morning, and we fill the horse buckets up daily with warm water. I’ve been giving them cracked corn and peas before bed to help keep them warm too.

Just trying to make sure theres nothing else to prep before snow! If we get a polar vortex and it’s becomes brutally cold my emergency plan is a playpen area in my garage. But until something like that, they should be fine as is?
as long as they have good ventilation in their little nighttime coop, they’ll be fine

My ducks spent skk day in the yard today
We were -10 c this morning
Last year they would come in and out of their coop to eat and drink when I t got -20
At -48 they wouldn’t come out at all
So we built a enclosed outdoor area made with greenhouse panels
It’s to keep wind , rain and snow out of the feed area
As for bath type waters I don’t allow those once we get in the negatives
I have 5 separate heated buckets
2 I keep by the house the other 3 are in the enclosed feed area
I also have 19 ducks and 2 geese so I need a few more then you would with 3
The bath Type waters are okay to use down zero? It’s 34 here now and slushy! But if it falls below zero remove them and just leave my buckets on the warmers (to drink and dunk heads in-they can’t get in those)

The bath Type waters are okay to use down zero? It’s 34 here now and slushy! But if it falls below zero remove them and just leave my buckets on the warmers (to drink and dunk heads in-they can’t get in those)
0 celsius is freezing =
32 fahrenheit is freezing

Zero and colder I don’t put any swimming things out
I just use my heated buckets
My ancona ( cinnamon) decided she wanted a bath one day
She jumped right in my heated bucket
These are the sleds I use when it’s around zero or slightly above
It’s only a few inches deep
They stand in there and swoop the water over them
Anything over 5C I use my kid pools and ponds

Attachments

• C9FA893F-5799-41EF-8089-083F1287D64F.png
    C9FA893F-5799-41EF-8089-083F1287D64F.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 12