Everything Chicken Chatter Thread

I literally just moved the Malay eggs into lockdown about an hour ago. Today is day 19, but I couldn't move them yesterday because of some slow poke hatchers in my hatching incubator. Looks like I got them moved over just in time! Will need to watch this little one, it pipped in an odd spot. So excited!! 🥰

fotor_1618424585528.jpg

I literally just moved the Malay eggs into lockdown about an hour ago. Today is day 19, but I couldn't move them yesterday because of some slow poke hatchers in my hatching incubator. Looks like I got them moved over just in time! Will need to watch this little one, it pipped in an odd spot. So excited!! 🥰

View attachment 2616276
Nice, early pip.

Malay hatch update... I had 2 hatch so far. Still waiting to see if egg #3 wants to do anything. Egg #4 didn't make it. It pipped at the wrong end, through a vein.

I do have a question though, if anyone can help me out. The first egg that pipped early, I had to do an assist because it pipped in the wrong spot. The chick eventually hatched on its own, but is dragging along a piece of shell and a bizarre looking "thing" behind it. The "thing" is leaving a snail-trail as the chick walks around, and the other chicks keep pecking at it. I've never encountered this before, but realize it's quite likely yolk that hasn't absorbed yet... But just want to get a second opinion on it. See pics below...

PXL_20210416_173208302.jpg
PXL_20210416_173236605.NIGHT.jpg

Malay hatch update... I had 2 hatch so far. Still waiting to see if egg #3 wants to do anything. Egg #4 didn't make it. It pipped at the wrong end, through a vein.

I do have a question though, if anyone can help me out. The first egg that pipped early, I had to do an assist because it pipped in the wrong spot. The chick eventually hatched on its own, but is dragging along a piece of shell and a bizarre looking "thing" behind it. The "thing" is leaving a snail-trail as the chick walks around, and the other chicks keep pecking at it. I've never encountered this before, but realize it's quite likely yolk that hasn't absorbed yet... But just want to get a second opinion on it. See pics below...

View attachment 2619640View attachment 2619641
That's a yolk sack. The chick still had a few hours left before it was ready. I had 3 pip the wrong end, first was able to hatch normally, 2nd one hatched fine, third one was ready, but was too cramped in it's eggshell to turn itself so I had to assist.

Make sure there's no intestines.

That's a yolk sack. The chick still had a few hours left before it was ready. I had 3 pip the wrong end, first was able to hatch normally, 2nd one hatched fine, third one was ready, but was too cramped in it's eggshell to turn itself so I had to assist.

Make sure there's no intestines.
It seems to be moving around okay, but is still dragging the eggshell around. I moved the other chicks into the brooder, and am leaving this little one in the incubator to keep an eye on it. I also put some Grogel in there with it, so hopefully that will give it a little boost.

It seems to be moving around okay, but is still dragging the eggshell around. I moved the other chicks into the brooder, and am leaving this little one in the incubator to keep an eye on it. I also put some Grogel in there with it, so hopefully that will give it a little boost.
Is it possible for you to get a better picture of the yolk sack to make sure there's no intestines? If there's intestines then it'll have to be put down.

Back
Top Bottom