Evil Drake

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by JoshSnape, Aug 27, 2010.

1. my 17 ducklings are nearly grown up and male are starting to get colouring, but intergrating them with the drake has been a problem ever since i first tried, he chases them round and grabs the and pulls feathers out, he ever got on top of one is this normal, i alway seperate them after a short time, even when they are in the cage and he is outside it he follows them round the cage and stick his head it to grab them, Help please i am planning on selling most of them in the next few months but would like to intergrate them as i want them all to be together in the new
    44 square foot encloser, with stream and pond. please please help. thanks in advance.

2. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Songster

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    Drakes have a bad reputation when it comes to ducklings and young ducks. I wouldn't put them together until the ducks are fully grown, or around that stage.

3. the thing is they are around that age, or so i think they are they are the same sort of size as their mom.

4. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Songster

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    Oh...
    I had the same problem with my drake [​IMG] he just was too terratorial and rough with my young ducks... maybe try free-ranging them together? So they aren't introduced in a small space that could get the drake angry?
    Why do drakes have to be like this [​IMG]
    Also has he just been targetting your young males? Could reduce them or introduce them when they're a bit bigger/stronger? 'Cause I do know mounting on top of males is a dominance desplay... hmmm [​IMG]

5. thats what i thought, more fool him when the 4 male brother i counted giving him what hes been giving them, lol they are all push overs, but with free ranging them, last time they went in the hedge because he started chasing them, once he accidently got the mom and she chased he all around in a circle.

6. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    Medford, Oregon
    I'd put the evil drake somewhere alone so the others can be together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by