Evil hens: UPDATE! A CHANUKAH MIRACLE!!!

Quote:
I'm curious about where you got your BR's. I have a BR roo who is aggressive.

I have a welsummer who is a sweetie. My BO's are also really nice.

it has only been a week... but the other girls peck normally. These ones just seem crazy like always. I got them from a local breeder who I think bought the eggs off of ebay. The other girls peck them when they run around like crazy, or when they get to close to the food. Nothing like freaking them out and just going all crazy on them. I would like to get to new hens, but then I worry that the new ones will do the same thing.

Quote:
I'm curious about where you got your BR's. I have a BR roo who is aggressive.

I have a welsummer who is a sweetie. My BO's are also really nice.

Roos will go through a phase of being 'teenagers'. Usually they calm down by a year old.

I would never breed an aggressive roo. I guess it all depends on how bad your boy is. If he is flogging you daily, I wouldn't give him the chance of reaching adulthood. My BR cockerel is a very good boy to humans. He is a little testy with the hens in the morning, but he is just getting used to being a man
lol.png

Quote:
Get an older hen or an older roo. How old is the roo you have? I wouldn't expect a 6 month old roo to take care of the arguments. My roo that does that is 1 1/2. My cockerel is just as bad as the girls
lol.png

Once the pecking order is established, things will calm down. I wouldn't get rid of them that quickly. Let them work things out. These are chickens, not humans. Pecking is all part of their behaviour with one another.

If it gets so bad that there are open wounds, I would definitely intervene. Do not add 8 week old chicks that are much smaller than the BRs.

My BR hen (8 months old) doesn't even notice when I introduce another new girl.

How big is your coop? Do they not have enough to do to keep them from picking the others?

Quote:
I was addressing that to the other person who commented
smile.png

Lol oh ok! Sorry!

The one under that was addressed to you though. What is the age of your roo you have now? Younger roos will not protect like mature ones would.

Quote:
Get an older hen or an older roo. How old is the roo you have? I wouldn't expect a 6 month old roo to take care of the arguments. My roo that does that is 1 1/2. My cockerel is just as bad as the girls
lol.png

Once the pecking order is established, things will calm down. I wouldn't get rid of them that quickly. Let them work things out. These are chickens, not humans. Pecking is all part of their behaviour with one another.

If it gets so bad that there are open wounds, I would definitely intervene. Do not add 8 week old chicks that are much smaller than the BRs.

My BR hen (8 months old) doesn't even notice when I introduce another new girl.

How big is your coop? Do they not have enough to do to keep them from picking the others?

Their coop is big and they dont really pick on the other girls... they usually just hang out together.

Quote:
Lol oh ok! Sorry!

The one under that was addressed to you though. What is the age of your roo you have now? Younger roos will not protect like mature ones would.

6 months I believe I see him grab onto their combs sometimes to put them in a submissive state. He also calls out when they are doing their complaining noise alot.

Back
Top Bottom