"Evil Rooster"

2andcounting

Hatching
7 Years
Feb 3, 2012
My nice friendly rooster, has turned on me. I can't hang with my other chickens any more because he chases me down and scratches me!
hide.gif
I've tried picking him up and kicking him back, but nothing helps! (treats didn't work either) Anybody have anything i haven't tried yet? Should I get rid of him? Help!

That is very common. All that testosterone kicks in once they reach maturity. Go straight for him and grab him and hold him under your arm. You could also hold him upside down by his feet and this might deter him. If he doesn't back down, you might need to make him a nice pot of soup.

The first thing you need to ask yourself is, "Why do I have chickens?" If you have chickens for the joy of having chickens, why keep one that takes that joy away? If you choose to keep him, then you need to decide how long you want to have to watch your back when you go out to the other chickens. If he doesn't settle down, are you willing to spend the next 6-8 years (they can live that long!) kicking him around every time you go outside? What kind of quality of life is that for the rooster? How much will you enjoy keeping chickens?

Does holding the Roo upside-down help put him in his place? Today mine attacked me. I finally tossed a blanket over him, I don't want to hurt him.....but I don't want it to hurt me or my family either.

Tthere really is no such thing as an 'EVIL' rooster. All roos can be tamed and are lovable. I have six adult roos. Three bantams and three bigs. All friendly, all easy to pick up and hug. None of them attack or bite.

We have a pretty sassy boy, but retraining is definitely helping. I read some great advice on BYC from "people in the know" :)

1) Did you notice how he charges you? He is like any other animal (especially male animal), he is pushing you and threatening you and showing off. Sooo....
Charge him. Don't hit him. Don't push him. Treat him like you are dribbling a soccer ball. Go in his run or even out in the yard. Walk at him. Walk at him more. Walk at him again. Herd him like a dog does to sheep. Make him move, then move again, then move again. Keep it up for at least 3-4 "pushes". Then walk away. If he charges you again, do the whole thing over again. Keep doing it until, when you walk away he stays where he is or goes plays with his girls. This "getting him to move" is a animal-technique of showing dominance

2) When he takes a swipe at you...
Quickly slam your hand on his back and pin him to the ground. You don't have to do it hard enough to hurt him (don't harm his legs). But he will be screaming like you are trying to kill him. Pin him to the ground until he stops struggling and then slowly lift your hand. If he comes after you again, pin him again. He'll especially hate this in front of his girls!

I have tried the picking up and holding him on his back. Or just holding him and walking around with him. I didn't find that either of these techniques had any lasting effect. BUT, we also do hold him and snuggle him and give him a ton of cuddling love also. So he is learning who is the dominant-leader of the flock, but that he also gets to tolerate being handled like crazy.

Tthere really is no such thing as an 'EVIL' rooster. All roos can be tamed and are lovable. I have six adult roos. Three bantams and three bigs. All friendly, all easy to pick up and hug. None of them attack or bite.

In my experience this is not factual. Many roosters can be subdued and put in their place. Others can never be rehabilitated. As far as loveable?????

None of that stuff ever worked for me. I now carry a large stick with me all over the yard. I carry it
behind me. So if they try to flog me they get they hit the stick instead. I have two evil bantams that will be dog food soon if they don't stop.

Back
Top Bottom