Ewe is passing an amniotic sac...

Quote:
I'm sorry.. but just because an animals is a cull...does not mean they should not get vet care when they are suffering. And that sheep was suffering...
Sorry... you failed her by letting her be down in labor for 5 days... you know thats not normal. I hurt for that poor animal... dont you?
Very sorry..i know you'll be ticked at me for saying what others are too scared to say to you....but... its the truth. If you couldnt afford a vet..(which i understand!)... then you should have been responsible and shot her in the head or something to end it for her, instead of letting her linger on with no help.
I'm very sorry that you'll hate me now..
hide.gif

X2

I'm sorry.. but just because an animals is a cull...does not mean they should not get vet care when they are suffering. And that sheep was suffering...
Sorry... you failed her by letting her be down in labor for 5 days... you know thats not normal. I hurt for that poor animal... dont you?
Very sorry..i know you'll be ticked at me for saying what others are too scared to say to you....but... its the truth. If you couldnt afford a vet..(which i understand!)... then you should have been responsible and shot her in the head or something to end it for her, instead of letting her linger on with no help.
I'm very sorry that you'll hate me now..
hide.gif

THis is what you didnt understand (or maybe I didnt mention it...it has been a long few days) She had slipped or something and couldnt get up, was laying in the stall on her side like a caste horse...that is why she was down. I am not expecting lambs until the end of January. They were put into the stall in readiness for the event. SO yes she was down and very comfortable laying on two couch cushions in a foal blanket cause she shedded her wool about a month ago. (I didnt want her getting cold) SHe had hay and water within easy reach. She ate and drank and chewed her cud. I expected her to get up any time. THat was when I saw the sac coming out after 5 days of this...I realize now that I should have pulled the lambs then--even though they seemed 2 weeks early--I may have saved the babies and the ewe. (but maybe not) The reason I say that she was a cull was because she had had quads last year that were all born dead and she only had a single teat working. She would have been sold at Equity not just shot and buried.

No I do not hate you RedHen or any others that think I should have done even more...the experience that I have had with the vets in this area is that they come, charge you $200+ and you still lose the animal. I wish they knew how to work on more than just cows...but that is where the $$$ is I guess. Yes I am sorry for her death--as I said she was a sweet sheep, I bought her and her daughter because the previous owner was going to shoot her--she had 4 extra years of a nice life and I dont think she suffered at all until the very end. SHe went before I could go in and get the gun or I would have shot her, really.
Terri O​

It's getting very difficult to find good large animal vets in many rural areas, except for those that specialize in equines. Your first post was a little confusing and I too thought the ewe was in labor for five days, but with further explanation it makes more sense.

I'm sorry for the loss of your ewe and her lambs.
sad.png

Sounds like pregnancy toxemia, or maybe anemia. She really should have seen a vet (or been put out of her misery if you didn't want to pay for that) no matter why she was down. The fact is being down for 5 days isn't normal, no matter what the cause. Sorry...

There is ONE vet that will treat livestock in my area, and that does not include chickens or water fowl. I just lost my pekin Chuck because he was lame and no vets treat ducks around here. Sometimes it is simply not possible to find veterinary care.

I am sorry you lost her.
hugs.gif

I am very sorry for your loss. Now that this has happened please try to find a vet that you can work with. A vet who takes care of cattle should most definitely be able to take care of sheep. And most vets went to school to help animals so find someone you can count on. I worked for a practice that mostly treated cats and dogs but they would try to help ANY animal in need.
When my friends horsed needed surgery one vet rode with us all the way to New Bolton Center. He didn't want things to go badly if the horse could not survive the trip. And he was not an equine vet at all. Just a caring sweet guy who to this day is still a great vet.
If you can't perhaps you can have a liaison vet that a local vet can call if not sure what to do. But no animal should have to suffer....thats not acceptable. Now is the time to establish a good relationship so that you have someone you trust in your corner.

Back
Top Bottom