Ewe is passing an amniotic sac...

Terri O

Crowing
10 Years
Jan 2, 2010
WI~chickening for 30 years!
but there is nothing behind it! I have felt inside and can feel nothing. She has been down for about 5 days now. I put her in a stall and she was flat out one morning...thought I had lost her. Got her straightened out and she has been eating and drinking well but has not stood back up. She still has the will to live so I am taking care of her. I was really surprised that she had a sac hanging out tonight just now when I got home from work...thinking that a baby was imminent I watched for a bit but nothing--so I checked. Do you think it is possible that she could be aborting? She had quads last year the second week of January so she should be about term. Just not sure if I should do anything or just let her be?
Anybody got any ideas? Thanks a bunch! Terri O

Unfortunately no...the vet care is very bad here for anything other than cows...I was not too worried about her as she is eating and drinking very well. She is an old ewe so I was kind of wondering if she was just tired and would be passing away soon? I am going out to check her again now and will update...T

She was passing another sac a few mins ago. I went in and found the baby...it is about a hand's length back yet. Alive and well; I eased it forward a bit and it pulled back when she stopped pushing. The lamb seems to be in the right position as far as I can tell. I am going to wait another hour or so and see if there is progress. Hopefully I will go back out and there will be two feet...
fl.gif
Then the "fun" part starts...sure wish my other ewe would have gone first! Terri

Wow.. 5 days! Thats not normal at all. Poor thing..
If she survives this...i'd def keep her away from the rams from now on...
Good luck with her..
fl.gif

im not experianced with sheep. but i am with goats... isnt an hour quite a long time to wait to get the baby out? i always go with the rule of 20 mins from the time the water breaks to the time the kids are out..

i hope the baby is ok!

You need to go in & get that baby out, if not you are going to lose them all. You need to go in until you find the legs & start to work the lamb out. It doesn't sound like you are going to win here. My neighbor had the same problem last year. Sounds like she has pregnancy toxemia, has she dialated her cervix? You will know that she has if the vaulva has extended. Here is a great site for info on all sheep & goat issues. Good Luck!

http://sheepandgoat.com/Index.html

Thanks for that site Broody...didnt tell me too much that I havent experienced (unfortunately) but it is full of great info. I enjoyed the refresher.
So last night at 2:30 there was still nothing and the ewe was resting-not pushing-not doing anything but wanting to sleep...and so was I...I left her be. THis morning still nothing! She is a little more anxious but maybe that was just for her alfalfa! She drank 2 gals of water with molasses and ate a handful of cracked corn. I left her munching her hay and am fortifying myself with a few cups of coffee before going out and pulling the lambs. The first one has to be dead I would think...I talked with my neighbor this morning and he said he pulled one earlier this year and the two behind it were fine. I am not sure I will have that kind of luck but I am keeping my fingers crossed. If she makes it she will definitely be a cull...being a one titter and all this trouble. At least I have her daughter and Grand daughter and they are doing fine (so far)
fl.gif

THanks for all the help over the night guys...you are the best
hugs.gif
Terri O

Back
Top Bottom