Ex barn chicken laying eggs too big for her??

Andit_543

In the Brooder
Jul 24, 2020
I've just rescued 4 ex commercial laying chickens and I've read about chickens laying eggs too big for them causing bleeding and I'm concerned one of my girls has this issue. They are pretty petit but the eggs are what I would consider large by shop standards. Today I was collecting the eggs and doing the coop tidy and I noticed a patch of blood on the bedding and a bit on a perch. Should I be worried and is there anything I can do to help with this. I don't know which girl it is, they all seem pretty happy otherwise....

What breed, ISA Brown & Leghorn or some other hybrid? Sadly these breeds are designed by the industry to lay eggs and once feed to egg production takes a dive they are not considered worth keeping.

Both strain of industry birds lay ridicules amounts of egg in a short period and this does not bold well for their health. They may have health issues and short life spans. The best you can do is make the finale years the best of their life. My guess one of the birds has developed a reproductive issue.

I have two ISA Brown, don't expect them to live long but they will have good lives.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom