Ex battery hens aggressive behaviour

Granny Julia

Hatching
Dec 5, 2023
Hi lady’s and gentlemen’s ! I NEED YOUR HELP !!! I am new to chicken keeping . 3 weeks ago we adopted 6 ex battery hens. 2 smallish birds and 4 larger . I don’t really know their breeds. I think they are different but I could be wrong . I’d be very thankful if you could help me to identify them. That’s wasn’t my concern . That’s what my concern is !! When I got my birds for first couple of days we kept them in the house as it was yellow warnings in the county and weather was stormy . Birds were in the good mood no pecking or anything . I watched them all the time as I was so fascinated and they were in my house . I had one of the little hens ( pink ring on her foot) being sometimes pecked by another small hen ( blue ring on her leg)at night time when they were going to bed they all would snuggle together and little hen (pink ring on her leg ) would always stay out and sleep on her own . But they were existing happily together . after couple of days we moved them into the barn as they got to smelly and messy . I place coop and run in to my shed to keep them away from elements .Smaller hen ( blue ring on her leg) was shoving signs of pecking but only on another little hen ( pink ring )nothing drastic. Funny enough eventually small hen (pink ring) that was being picked become kinda friends with bully . She would hang out with her and she still would get peck but it seems not bothering her. Other bigger hens are quite placid and have nice personalities I haven’t seen them pecking at all. From day one one the bigger hens ( yellow ring) was breathing heavily but I dint pay that much attention . Couple of days ago ( 3 weeks later )she started to sneeze and passed weird poo . I brought her to the vet and he prescribed antibiotics and told to keep her separately in the house. He also suggested to get a red warm light to keep other warm as we have -1 -2 Celsius and they are not fully feathered . I got the light. This morning we installed it and once I turned it on my hens become vicious. The small birds pink and blue started to fight like roosters with their legs. Little pink hen who was always so sweet and afraid of everything turned into demon . She would peck at other big birds. It looked that my smaller birds ( pink and blue ring) were guarding the area and wouldn’t let anyone in although they dint stay under the light themselves . The smaller bird ( blue ring) started to violently pick and attack bigger birds with no reason . I never seeng anything so aggressive and violet . I had Guinea pigs and they were crazy while establishing their dominance with blood and everything but that was another level. Mid day I noticed that one of my favourite big hens started to cough so I brought her into my house and place her with my sick bird. I think she settled a little bit. I actually now think that all my birds have a bit or flu. Breading heavily and sneeze . I am going to ask my vet for antibiotics for all of them . I really think that all of them are sick now. And I believe I need to provide them some sort of heat during the day . By the way my heat lamp is not placed in the coop it placed in the run. I was trying to read up on same situations and I could see that some of the people rises this issue but I couldn’t find how to sort it out . My question is how to keep my hens warm during the day without them killing each other . I’ll provide pictures tomorrow . Please help

They were raised in a closed environment. When they went to your house they encountered germs their bodies were not familiar with.

Put 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder or garlic granules in their food twice a day for 3 days. After the 3 days, just do it once a week.

Also, powdered vitamin C, 1/2 teaspoon twice a day for ten days. Then, just once a day.

It is possible their social problems are because they are sick. At least you now have names, Pink, Blue, Yellow.

Could we get some pictures, that would help

You mention they're battery hen rescues, they don't need heat imo since they're of age even if they dont have all their feathers. The sudden light turning on that made them aggressive is no coincidence as well, when they were battery hens the lights were either on 24/7 or were on for 16+ hours a day. It's very traumatizing for the birds and when you turned that light on, it probably spooked them again. As for the sickness part, add vitamins to their water and give quality feed. If they're really sick you'll need more but start with vitamins.

From day one one the bigger hens ( yellow ring) was breathing heavily but I dint pay that much attention . Couple of days ago ( 3 weeks later )she started to sneeze and passed weird poo . I brought her to the vet and he prescribed antibiotics and told to keep her separately in the house. He also suggested to get a red warm light to keep other warm as we have -1 -2 Celsius and they are not fully feathered .

I got the light. This morning we installed it and once I turned it on my hens become vicious.

Mid day I noticed that one of my favourite big hens started to cough so I brought her into my house and place her with my sick bird.

Please post photos of the birds, the housing/coop/run.

Where are you located in the world?

Have your vet run a fecal float to see if Coccidiosis is a problem as well. You've moved them to new ground.
If possible, have them test for respiratory illness like Mycoplasma and/or Infectious Bronchitis.

They may just have to be adjusting to a different environment and the sneezing/breathing issues is dust, poor ventilation, etc. Hard to know.

Back
Top Bottom