Ex batts won't accept new hen!

motherhen19

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 29, 2013
Hello, I re homed a skyline hen with a bad foot, I took her to the vets and she had an abscess removed and she's doing well. But I've had her for over a week and she's having to sleep inside my home because my other 4 girls (ex battery hens) are so violent. Gloria the new hen has a bald back with some feathers trying to grow. So everyday since we've had her shes been outside in a different run but next to each other so they can see but not touch! A few days ago we thought we'd let them out together and they attacked her which I expected! They had the whole garden so she was able to run away, but today. We put them all in the run together, at first they were very noisy and alot of chasing happened but they calmed down after an hour so I went inside, kept popping my head out every 5 mins to make sure everything was ok and they were sitting down ignoring each other but when I went out an hour later 3 of my ex batts had cornered her and were pecking at her back which caused bleeding!! So I separated them of course! But I'm just so worried, I want her to live in a coop like the other chickies not have to be brought inside every night. I just don't know what to do! Anyone have any advice? Sorry for the long post I'm pretty anxious and upset about this whole situation!! Thanks for any replies in advance!

I would let her heal up completel and perhaps even regrow the feathers on her back before I tried again. They might not attack severely enough that you have to intervene if they live side by side for a month or so. This is not really unusual chicken behavior.

Back
Top Bottom