Cuddlychicken

Hatching
May 26, 2020
Hi everyone I've tried Googling this problem but it only comes up with how to treat splay leg.

Basically one of my chicks- Peggy- nearly died twice as a chick, once from cold, and the other from cold hand shock i ended up giving her cpr and she came back round only a day old at that point. After that however she developed splay leg. We treated that. And she was walking around with the other 3 chicks only a few days behind them developmentally. And i think due to these problems her growth is a little bit stunted. Well they're two months on now and are outside with the older chickens accpeted into the flock enjoying life.

Which brings us to my problem, recently shes seemed a little off- she is normally the biggest troublemaker and exploring all the time but it seems at the moment her legs aren't strong enough any more. She is exploring less and sitting on the floor with the ducks a lot more while her siblings run around and explore. Does anyone know why she might be suddenly weak legged, or do you think it could be due to her past issues and might be something we always have to watch for.

oh also re: pecking order. There isnt much bird fighting from what I can see, one of the chicks is a boy and even the adult hens have already fallen in place behind him and the baby girls are quite placid so there just isnt much fighting amongst them at all.

Photo of her from a month ago being nosy at the camera

Attachments

• 85D46A03-ECAD-4E1F-8CF2-442CC086D6A8.jpeg
    85D46A03-ECAD-4E1F-8CF2-442CC086D6A8.jpeg
    440.4 KB · Views: 7
Hi everyone I've tried Googling this problem but it only comes up with how to treat splay leg.

Basically one of my chicks- Peggy- nearly died twice as a chick, once from cold, and the other from cold hand shock i ended up giving her cpr and she came back round only a day old at that point. After that however she developed splay leg. We treated that. And she was walking around with the other 3 chicks only a few days behind them developmentally. And i think due to these problems her growth is a little bit stunted. Well they're two months on now and are outside with the older chickens accpeted into the flock enjoying life.

Which brings us to my problem, recently shes seemed a little off- she is normally the biggest troublemaker and exploring all the time but it seems at the moment her legs aren't strong enough any more. She is exploring less and sitting on the floor with the ducks a lot more while her siblings run around and explore. Does anyone know why she might be suddenly weak legged, or do you think it could be due to her past issues and might be something we always have to watch for.

oh also re: pecking order. There isnt much bird fighting from what I can see, one of the chicks is a boy and even the adult hens have already fallen in place behind him and the baby girls are quite placid so there just isnt much fighting amongst them at all.
This happened to Saffron too, my splay leg hen, I treated the splay leg but when she was fully grown she’s nearly half the size of all the other chickens and the bottom of the pecking order, she started acting depressed, not wanting to walk and all fluffed up when she was standing, still occasionally eating but only a few oats or meal worms, no pellets or anything and just slept when I had her inside then I found her with her head almost under her wing and her legs and wing stretched out, in a comfortable position thankfully, and she was dead… im not sure if it’s the same with your girl but there wasn’t much we could do for saffron, best advice I can give is bring her into a warm room in your house so she’s not in the cold and alone if she does pass.
For size scale the hens are just about as big as the rooster, maybe a little bit shorter

Attachments

• D5A9A72F-DF50-4335-9A91-B6CFC65FE4C1.jpeg
    D5A9A72F-DF50-4335-9A91-B6CFC65FE4C1.jpeg
    739 KB · Views: 3
  • D858CEF2-E01E-4F1A-8F28-95D93BF5BB28.jpeg
    D858CEF2-E01E-4F1A-8F28-95D93BF5BB28.jpeg
    607.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 879F467F-2D62-4892-B3D5-4F1A73A73768.jpeg
    879F467F-2D62-4892-B3D5-4F1A73A73768.jpeg
    641.4 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom