Exactly how large to Pekins get?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Andora, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Andora

Andora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I got a new Pekin yesterday from an elderly rural farmer who has bred and hatched his own for a number of years. The Pekin is a male and about 10 months old, and he is GIGANTIC!!

This is him next to my Pekin, who I got at the feed store a couple months ago.

[​IMG]

I'm sure my 2 month old Pekin isn't full grown yet, but will it really grow this big!?! This other Pekin, who we named Benny, is so huge.

I can't decide if my little Pekin is a male or female. It does make some louder noises than Benny the Giant Pekin, but it's not as loud as some of my definitely female Pekins that I rehomed this week. Maybe I'll just have to wait and see if one of those curly feathers appears? What age will that feather grow in?

Here's a last picture of Benny. I think he's a fine looking duck, I can't wait until he gets a little more tame.

[​IMG]

2. headred

headred Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Lawrence
    My girl, Cher, I assume so because she quacked really fast, is 8 weeks old and she's large also. Congrats on your new duck! I am also anxious for eggs!

[​IMG]

She's a comedian and keeps us fully entertained!

3. kitkatbahr

kitkatbahr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    Merritt Island, FL
    Well, I think there may be two kinds of Pekins. I met a guy yesterday that had a bunch of what he called Jumbo Pekins, and they were huge! Maybe do a google search and see what you can find out. He said his came from Metzer farms in California.

Pretty ducks!

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    If he has been breeding and hatching his own ducks for a long time, the size gene could have really been played up in his flock. Just because Benny is a moose doesn't mean your other duck will be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by