Examples of rooster-friendly ordinances

Carobean

Chirping
15 Years
Apr 11, 2008
Does anyone live in a locality with a rooster-friendly ordinance that's working well? I'd love to see some examples. We helped legalize BY chickens in our county a number of years ago, but later things got more restrictive for roosters and "agriculture" in general. I thought the rule was you needed 2 acres (in certain zoning areas), but recently learned that it is two "usable" acres, usable meaning developable. One person whose neighbor complained learned that of her 2.6 acre undeveloped lot (adjoining the 2-acre lot she lives on), just over 1 acre is "usable." This seems absurd for an animal who is restricted due to noise.
I'd love to have some proposals of rules that have worked well in other localities. I saw a post about Sacramento from 2015 on here-- I believe it was just handled under the noise ordinance on an individual basis? I doubt we'd get something that great...
Has anyone seen small flocks of chickens taken out of the agricultural animal category and redefined as pets?

This is the nuisance ordinance for my township. This is the only mention I can find on restrictions on animals, there's no restrictions on what kind of animals or how many you can keep to my knowledge and nothing specific to roosters but I imagine if someone complained it would be dealt with on a case by case basis. It's rural and there are still a good number of working farms and houses are mostly spread out. I think many people around here also do still try to be considerate of their neighbors and people also realize that this is still farm country so animal noises are to be expected sometimes.

1702063099726.png

1702063009847.png

This is the nuisance ordinance for my township. This is the only mention I can find on restrictions on animals, there's no restrictions on what kind of animals or how many you can keep to my knowledge and nothing specific to roosters but I imagine if someone complained it would be dealt with on a case by case basis. It's rural and there are still a good number of working farms and houses are mostly spread out. I think many people around here also do still try to be considerate of their neighbors and people also realize that this is still farm country so animal noises are to be expected sometimes.

View attachment 3701000

View attachment 3700999
Thanks for sending! I like that. Especially the "screeching" part : ) It's interesting that when it gets specific about noise, it's talking about pets, not more typically agricultural animals.
My county is in transition from rural to more populated so there are growing pains-- people whose families have been here a long time think of it as rural, but most of the farms have been broken up, and there are many densely populated parts of the county.

Back
Top Bottom