Seattle Rooster ban help

Hi there,

I in the Washington area and am just now hearing about this? Can you please explain further as to why this is happening? Is it based on the possible noise alone ? Or is there more to it? And why? I understand it’s not what everyone wants to hear but it’s your pet? It’s your livestock? Can they do this? Completely throw out all roosters? With no where to go? Or realllly expect people in Seattle to listen? 😂 I mean that in the best possible way!❤️ idk I’m just sad hearing about this and hope it doesn’t come my way.
This ban is likely outdated as it’s when they updated city code in 2011 expand the chicken limit to 8 chickens and prohibit roosters.
I do believe it is only on a basis of noise.. when there are far worse and more annoying noises than a rooster crowing around here. The fact they are banned for this entirely is crap. It should be taken as only noise complaint not just ban the gender of a species entirely.

Is a code a law?
Legislation. Rule. Mandate. Must. Comply. etc are not Laws / ACTS. they are words that scare (most) people, nothing more.

I had a roo that attacked me before xmas. His breeder collected him the week of xmas. Last week I received a letter from City Council, and I quote:

Dear Sir / Madam

Council has receieved a complaint concerning an alleged noise nuisance arising from a rooster being kept at the above property.

As noise from crowing roosters has the potential to cause a significant impact on the amenity of adjoining properties, roosters are not permitted to be kept on premises within the Wollongong local government area.

In view of the above, your co-operation is requested in having the rooster removed from your property within 14 days of the date of this letter (10th January). Complying with this request will avoid the need for further action by Council.

Your concideration of the situation for the benefit of all concerned is appreciated.

For more information or to discuss the matter further, please call Council's Regulation and Enforcement Division.

This letter is authorised by Regulation & Enforcement Division.

Ok, so let's break this down.

alleged noise nuisance = hearsay. Council has no evidence of this alleged noise. They have not sent anyone out to investigate said noise. And it will be months before they do!

Removal of the roo is at my co-operation / concideration - I politely decline.

Also, the letter holds no ink signature = they / the corporate body known as Council and its Divisions are relying on me to be afraid of further action. But if this went further, Council would expect me to put all my appeals in writing. If they had a Law / ACT to keep me from owning a rooster, wouldn't they simply act on that?

If I still had roo I would have ignored their requests. It would have come down to them having got the right to enter my property with cage in hand, catch the roo and remove him. This will take years! At least in my area.
https://buildingconnections.seattle.gov/2011/08/01/chickens-and-code-enforcement/

Can u whlp me decipher what u said from within this ? Is what ur saying still applicable?

https://buildingconnections.seattle.gov/2011/08/01/chickens-and-code-enforcement/

Can u whlp me decipher what u said from within this ? Is what ur saying still applicable?
But, complaints about crowing roosters are not as straightforward as they seem. It is not always obvious what is the gender of the fowl that we observe—in fact, there are some breeds of chicken that outwardly appear to be roosters, crowing and all, but lay eggs and are in fact hens. If the only enforcement issue is animal noise such as crowing, the DPD inspector has no basis to undertake enforcement action—the appropriate agency to respond to complaints about animal noise is the City’s Animal Control unit. In addition, if a rooster has been in residence since before the enactment of the new code provisions—if the owner can prove it, which can be challenging—DPD will not require him to be removed.

Ok, so there is no law or it would have been cited.

Gender of bird = giving people a smart ways out / loophole by saying you have a crowing breed of hen.

Noise issues need to be reported to another agency - animal control.

You can say you've been keeping roosters for years and your current roo is the great grand roo of your beloved Herman who you raised as a child. They can't disprove it.

The bottom line is they have no law. Your neighbour sounds nice, nice enough to have let you know it is causing them annoyance. If you can appease them over a cup of tea and some fresh eggs, all the better for everyone. Keep a written diary of all interactions with your neighbour and any 'officialdom' that may come your way. Always stand as a couple when any offials arrive. You can also request that their visiatations be organised ahead of time, so you and your bf are both present. Don't be afraid of writing down the convo as it happens.

My local Council has failed for 13+ yrs to stop my neighbour allowing his maltese terriers to bark until 3a.m. Even police have used a sound deterrent device on these dogs, it's that bad! No doubt it was he who reported my roo. Other neighbours have said they miss hearing him crow.

Bottom line: Ban. is simply a word, not a law.

But, complaints about crowing roosters are not as straightforward as they seem. It is not always obvious what is the gender of the fowl that we observe—in fact, there are some breeds of chicken that outwardly appear to be roosters, crowing and all, but lay eggs and are in fact hens. If the only enforcement issue is animal noise such as crowing, the DPD inspector has no basis to undertake enforcement action—the appropriate agency to respond to complaints about animal noise is the City’s Animal Control unit. In addition, if a rooster has been in residence since before the enactment of the new code provisions—if the owner can prove it, which can be challenging—DPD will not require him to be removed.

Ok, so there is no law or it would have been cited.

Gender of bird = giving people a smart ways out / loophole by saying you have a crowing breed of hen.

Noise issues need to be reported to another agency - animal control.

You can say you've been keeping roosters for years and your current roo is the great grand roo of your beloved Herman who you raised as a child. They can't disprove it.

The bottom line is they have no law. Your neighbour sounds nice, nice enough to have let you know it is causing them annoyance. If you can appease them over a cup of tea and some fresh eggs, all the better for everyone. Keep a written diary of all interactions with your neighbour and any 'officialdom' that may come your way. Always stand as a couple when any offials arrive. You can also request that their visiatations be organised ahead of time, so you and your bf are both present. Don't be afraid of writing down the convo as it happens.

My local Council has failed for 13+ yrs to stop my neighbour allowing his maltese terriers to bark until 3a.m. Even police have used a sound deterrent device on these dogs, it's that bad! No doubt it was he who reported my roo. Other neighbours have said they miss hearing him crow.

Bottom line: Ban. is simply a word, not a law.
Thankyou for sharing. This definitely give me a bit more comfort. Not much but as much as I can get in this situation!
And what happened to ur Roo?!!!

This ban is likely outdated as it’s when they updated city code in 2011 expand the chicken limit to 8 chickens and prohibit roosters.
I do believe it is only on a basis of noise.. when there are far worse and more annoying noises than a rooster crowing around here. The fact they are banned for this entirely is crap. It should be taken as only noise complaint not just ban the gender of a species entirely.

Thankyou for sharing. This definitely give me a bit more comfort. Not much but as much as I can get in this situation!
And what happened to ur Roo?!!!
My roo was collected by his breeder and taken to their farm where they have several other roosters. I'm sure I'll have another at some point, hopefully one that will not attack me. I'm still nursing the gash in my left calf almost a month later. No fun.

Back
Top Bottom