Excellent bulk mealworm source...

i've been giving my chickens meal worms and they go absolutely nuts for them!
i think it's a great treat. it tastes good AND it has protein that they should have anyway.
the worms are just a teensy bit creepy but if you don't look at them too close it's okay. (their itty bitty wiggly feets freak me OUT!)

thanks for the tip roux - looks like a very nice source!

Wildsky wrote:
I'm probably going to order some, but the small "pack" - the one where they come in the plastic container - I dunno about trying to unwrap them from newspaper... I guess I could just give the paper to the chickens to sort through!

mine like the sports and the comics

Funny!!

I got a couple of garden catalogs a few weeks ago that had $25.00 off coupons on the front so I ordered the mealworms from both and got them each for 8.90 I think witht he coupon. They were dried and real small, like skinny and one inch long and 2000 in the brown bags. Chickens loved them to death, even got QUIET!! eating them but I would be looking for a bettr money value than what I ended up with, these dont look to be the rip off I had, I mean what I spent was great but if I had bought them without those coupons and paid that much more for what I got I would NOT have had a good deal, lol! Course the ones I got were not live either, hope someone will post and say what they think of the quantity and cost of what they get from either of these sources. Thanks! Darlene​

Last edited:
Thank you for this resource! Can't tell you how many bazillions of times I've bought mealworms in the little plastic containers that are supposed to have 50 . Many are dead and the containers are well over $2, closer to $3. The stores selling them could care less about the percentage dead and never change their supplier.

1000 medium mealworms from Nature's Way would be under $7. Shipping costs just as much so it's really $14 but it still works out much cheaper overall. (I only have 2 chickens so larger quantities would probably not live long enough...)

I noticed only PayPal is accepted - something I've never used. No time like the present to learn how...

Mealworms would lift my feathered friend's spirits during the frigid weather we're having. My roo has suspected kidney trouble so I probably should not overdo it with the no doubt high protein mealworms but even a few a day would make him sooooooooooooooooo happy! Thank you
smile.png

JJ

Thanks for the great link! Do you have a good source for crickets??

My daughter is spending ALL her allowance right now buying crickets (20 or so at a tine for 10 cents apiece!) for her leopard gecko. He has been eating 5 crickets every other day -a lot more than we expected- so she is really running out of money.

I looked into mail-ordering them but it seems like the smaller quantities + shipping come out about the same.... and I don't know that they live long enough for larger quantities to make sense.... plus she'd have to set up a bigger cage I think. Right now she keeps the crickets in one of thise little plastic reptile cages that are like 4" x 9" x 5" with a handle on top. She has to keep them in a drawer in her bureau because the chirping keeps her awake otherwise!!!

Any advice you might have on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, too for the python advice. If she proves herself caring for Sal, the gecko (who we adopted, by the way) then we'll definitely be in touch this spring!!

Thank you,
Stacey
www.SoPoChickens.org

Quote:
Stacey, the link Poison Ivy provided on page one has crickets! And even kits to breed them!!
hmm.png

Last edited:
Thanks, Wildsky
I looked at that site before. The problem is that Olivia's gecko eats only about 100 crickets in 6 weeks, and since they only live 2-8 weeks depending on age, and the minimum order is 250 at seven cents each.... there would be wasted crickets and she's paying 10 cents now at the pet store.

Obviously if we had more reptiles it would be well worth it... or if we wanted to get into breeding them... but believe me we have our hands full with the pets we have now, don't need another project!!!! Thanks though...

Stacey

If you have birds molting this time of year, mealworms are a great idea to boost their protein intake (especially if they are only on layer feed, which isn't enough protein to molt easily). Plus, our birds go apeshizzle over them.

Back
Top Bottom