Excess roosters, should i butcher?

I haven't processed older roosters so I can't comment on the age thing. But I just wanted to add that you should age your birds in the fridge or a cooler with ice for 24-72 hours until rigor mortis passes. I didn't see you say you did this so that may be why your last bird was rubbery. Once the the joints move freely and you can kind of jiggle the leg or wing easily, you know rigor mortis has passed and the meat is ready to be eaten.

I agree. Ageing is very important. I use different methods depending on what else I have going on. The random single bird that needs to be processed gets aged in a large pot of water in the fridge, with a lid. Water changed on day 1.5. When its time for the large cornish harvest, I use an empty fridge and add paper lined trays to the shelves, then the whole meaties go in, without water, for the three days.

For extra large birds, like a turkey, I wait for it to be cold outside and place them in a large 55 gallon plastic (food grade) drum filled with water. I make huge ice cubes out of 13 qt stainless bowls adding them as needed.

Well I just processed one old hen two roosters and two ducks. It was so easy! I have them in a cooler with brine soaking now. I just made a traffic cone into a kill cone and cut their throats. Didn't have to worry about swinging hard enough or God forbid missing and hitting them somewhere else. They bled out and stopped twitching in under a minute.

Before this I always hated dispatching sick birds and opted to just shoot them a lot of times. Glad I found this method.

I have a bunch of young roosters, about 2 months maybe. They are barnyard mix, the father is either a orpington jersey giant mix or a naked neck. I've tried selling them but it's hard to get rid of a rooster around here. It seems ridiculous to just dispatch them all for no reason so I figured I'd raise them to a decent weight and butcher them myself. For dog food if nothing else.

Anyway, my main question is is it possible to get their meat tender? I've butchered a rooster before but the meat was tough and gamey. He was probably too old and wasnt fed like the ones i have now. I'd like to be able to make it Into fried chicken without it being rubbery if at all possible.

Right now they are allowed access to food 24/7 but they are also in a tractor so they can still eat bugs and grass and what have you.

Anything I should know? Suggestions, comments, concerns? Thanks in advance
Our last 6 roos.
JPEG_20230619_101744_5579309797670546352.jpg

Back
Top Bottom