Excited to be a member

lsatey

Hatching
Sep 11, 2016
I started with 4 hens about 5 years ago. Two are still with me and have added 3 over the last two years. I have remodeled my hen house this summer and in the process of redoing the run. Some of my friends have convinced me that it doesn't need to be covered overhead with chicken wire. What are your thoughts about this?

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

It's not necessary but I would strongly recommend it. Hawks will happily kill birds from an uncovered run any day of the week, and it also opens the flock up to predators which can climb fences easily, such as bobcats. I've had 0 losses from my covered pens in 2 years, and probably 30-40 from my uncovered pens.

Welcome.

I agree with QueenMisha about predators. Also depending on how tall the cage is, your chickens might see something they like on the other side of the fence and go free ranging. I know my bantams can fly up to the top of my run, which is about 7 1/2 feet tall. Large fowl usually cant jump/fly that high, but it's better to cover the cage.

Also, as a word of warning, chickens are addicting and you might find yourself with more chickens
big_smile.png
(unless you're only allowed 5).

Welcome to Backyard chickens Isatey!! I hope you enjoy it and the camaraderie here and everybody that goes nuts over chickens (me being one of them....) Have fun! And ask questions! @Queenmisha and @chickencraz are right about the overhead chicken wire. Nothing else needs to be said

If you live in an area of weather extremes, you may want a solid top for the run. That way it also provides some protection from sun, rain and snow.

Back
Top Bottom