Existing hens not laying since bring new hens home

Ugh, and I thought I was doing it right! :( All of this advice makes perfect sense and is excellent! I assumed that just keeping them separated would be enough. Thankfully the new hens are downwind (and it gets pretty windy here) and my existing flock are very healthy free rangers, so that’s good, I think!! We live in the high desert so respiratory issues have never been a problem in the past. We’re about to get some snow so we’ll see how that goes.
I really- really appreciate your help! Thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge, it means a lot!
I’ll research more on the meds and hopefully can just isolate the one hen…God willing all goes well!

I had a couple snotty sneezy chickens about 30 feet from my established flock. I got them from a guy who was keeping them in a very dusty (no vegetation, no shade, solid fine-grained sand, total nightmare) run so I assumed their sneezing was from this. Once I got them home I realized they had actual snot coming from their nares and their poop was runny. I dont have the space to do a legit medical quarantine so I did the best I could for over a month. Since they have recuperated and integrated this thing has come back on one of them twice and basically moved through my whole flock. It is usually just sneezing for a couple weeks and nothing serious. I have no idea what it is but I did take one to the vet who told me it wasn't contagious (wrong) and prescribed antibiotics (which did nothing). I hope whatever is up with your birds is as mild as what mine have. It's a tough lesson to learn that sometimes older birds are more trouble than they're worth.
It’s so frustrating isn’t it! I’m sorry you’re dealing with that, especially with several chickens. I do think that often times, just like humans, they get over it and their immune systems are stronger for it..but you just never know! Will share any info and updates as they come!
thank you for chiming in! Hope and pray that health is restored to your flock!

It’s so frustrating isn’t it! I’m sorry you’re dealing with that, especially with several chickens. I do think that often times, just like humans, they get over it and their immune systems are stronger for it..but you just never know! Will share any info and updates as they come!
thank you for chiming in! Hope and pray that health is restored to your flock!
They are fine now but it was rough for a bit. Those chickens are my boss chickens now and last fall one hatched some lovely BCM and Ameraucanas for me! They just started laying so all is well!

They are fine now but it was rough for a bit. Those chickens are my boss chickens now and last fall one hatched some lovely BCM and Ameraucanas for me! They just started laying so all is well!
Glad to hear that positive outcome!! It also makes me hopeful for my hens!
I wonder if a few days of sunshine will help our Ms Snotty Nose. We’re currently in the beginning of a storm and I’m pretty sure that can effect health.

Back
Top Bottom