Exotic Guineas

perchie.girl :

Quote:
How tall does the flight pen need to be?

I have lots of space but would have to build separate housing from the regular guineas. I am planning on about 50 x 25 covered run for them. to share with the chickens The side walls will be six feet then the net gets strung between on Tripods or something similar.

My friend Tom across the street used to raise Pheasants for game hunters hes a pro at building flight pens. The kind Coyotes cant get into....

deb

Well I just use 5 ft or 6 ft high 2x2 woven wire ran on metal t-posts. In the center of the pens I have one tall post, 8 or 10 foot, and I use nylon netting for the top and drape it over the tall pole, so it sort of looks like a pyramid. Then they have a 8x8x7ft tall shelter attached to the pen. I use t-posts insulators to run my electric wire around the top and bottom. If you buy exotic Guineas, dont put them with chickens. I can't tell you the number of exotic birds ive lost because they came in contact with chickens. Chickens carry many types of bacteria and viruses that they are immune to, but it'll kill various exotic birds. Some species of Pheasants do ok around chickens though. I actually lost a vulturine male a few yrs back from chickens roosting on top of the pen and crapping through the top, they gave him aspergillosis which is a respiratory infection caused by a type of fungus that is common in chicken droppings.​

perchie.girl :

How tall does the flight pen need to be?

I have lots of space but would have to build separate housing from the regular guineas. I am planning on about 50 x 25 covered run for them. to share with the chickens The side walls will be six feet then the net gets strung between on Tripods or something similar.

My friend Tom across the street used to raise Pheasants for game hunters hes a pro at building flight pens. The kind Coyotes cant get into....

deb

Well I just use 5 ft or 6 ft high 2x2 woven wire ran on metal t-posts. In the center of the pens I have one tall post, 8 or 10 foot, and I use nylon netting for the top and drape it over the tall pole, so it sort of looks like a pyramid. Then they have a 8x8x7ft tall shelter attached to the pen. I use t-posts insulators to run my electric wire around the top and bottom. If you buy exotic Guineas, don't put them with chickens. I can't tell you the number of exotic birds I've lost because they came in contact with chickens. Chickens carry many types of bacteria and viruses that they are immune to, but it'll kill various exotic birds. Some species of Pheasants do OK around chickens though. I actually lost a vulturine male a few yrs back from chickens roosting on top of the pen and crapping through the top, they gave him aspergillosis which is a respiratory infection caused by a type of fungus that is common in chicken droppings.​
Good to know.... I am convinced now that I would not be a good choice for raising exotics. Oh I could provide the pen and isolation but I dont know enough about the husbandry part. Thanks for your input. And sorry for the long time to respond back I must have missed your reply.

love.gif

I sure would like to have more of them. Any information on availability would be appreciated :) PM me with info

Back
Top Bottom