Expanded run! *lots of pictures*

Anna_MN

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 4, 2011
Princeton, MN
The run for my girls wasn't exactly ideal size. We let them free range when we are home, but the 8 hours we are gone they basically get....a dirt pit. They have eaten all the grass so I said enough is enough and added on to create three separate pens so I can allow grass to grow in one and rotate them. The girls are really enjoying it! Here are some pictures.

They went from this

To this!

That is the meat bird coop/storage shed. They have access to that run when there aren't meat birds in it.

Second pen.

Meat bird coop.

Inside the second pen.

Inside the meat bird pen. The egg layers love coming in here a couple weeks after the meat birds leave because there are lots of yummy bugs!

Are your chickens doing this
wee.gif
in all of their new space???? Well done!
smile.png

Yes, they love it! They still get to come out and freerange when we get home from work, but now they aren't as eager to get out.

I like the rotation of run forage area idea a lot! It seems that this method will allow the birds equal grazing time when you have to leave them unattended while away and they still get fresh air and mobility to stay fit and trim while getting "the goods" that only nature can provide (grass, plants, insects, grit of their own choosing, etc.).
wee.gif

Now, if we can all work on how to provide rehabbed pasture in our runs during winter months in cold-climate areas like here in Wisconsin, we'd have chickens living in Nirvana!! Okay, okay, it is just a fantasy!
bow.gif

Back
Top Bottom